Monday, February 7, 2011

A strange world

John A. Vogt
     Many months ago, I was deposed for hours by defendants’ attorney, John A Vogt, for Westphal v. Wagner (the prayer suit, of which I am a plaintiff). He’s a Jones Day lawyer.
     Jones Day is a fancy schmancy “blue-chip” law firm. Very pricey. Very creepy.
     At one point during the deposition, I somehow opined that former OC Sheriff Mike Carona was a corrupt bastard who was headed to prison. Vogt took immediate offense. He commenced interrogating me, questioning my assumptions, forcing me to support my claim. He was pissed. (At the time, Carona had already been convicted, but I do believe that the decision was then on appeal. I guess the appeal didn’t work. As you know, recently, Carona entered federal prison in Colorado.)
Brian A. Sun
     I was perplexed by Vogt’s odd passion for Carona, that manifest rat bastard. (I think I may have referred to Carona as a "rat bastard." You know me. That didn’t help.)
* * *
     I shoulda known. Tonight, reading some old newspaper articles, I happened upon the fact that Mike Carona was represented by Jones Day at his corruption trial.
     —For free. Yep. You’ll recall that Carona quickly ran out of money, what with his endless legal problems. He was damned lucky that Jones Day stepped up, I guess.
     I did a little looking. Near as I can tell, Carona’s attorneys were Brian A. Sun and Jeff Rawitz, both senior attorneys at Jones Day.
Jeff Rawitz
     Rawitz, it seems, was a particularly well-known and respected attorney. Like Vogt, he was a classic, hard-charging bastard of an advocate.
     As it happens, during the Carona trial, Rawitz started displaying odd medical symptoms. Soon after the trial, he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease. He died last September. (See 10 times bigger than lifeLA Times.)
     Now, why would Jones Day attorneys volunteer to defend a bastard like Mike Carona? What’s that all about?
     What a strange world. There are smart people, I guess, who, as late as 2010, still believed in Mike freakin' Carona. Maybe they still do.
     Damn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That it is.

Anonymous said...

Jones Day is one of the country's premier "corporate" legal firms. We're talkin' serious money. It is the borg, a tool of the rich. Some of its members have been involved in Republican politics, though i see that Jane Harmon was once in the firm.

Anonymous said...

You are right on in regards to Jones Day and Carona. They are the largest law firm in the world (over 2,000 lawyers) out of my home town, Cleveland Ohio. The lawyers assigned to Carona are their best white collar crime litigators on the West Coast. They have provided Carona with a couple of million dollars worth of legal and appellate work, all of which is TAXABLE as income to him. In no way is this "pro bono"
work, and somebody is paying them to protect Carona and his confederates.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...