Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Chemerinsky in the OC Register: "for the next four years there will be a president who ran a campaign on racism and who expresses misogyny in his words and his acts"

Roquemore and Chemerinsky at IVC's 2016 commencement. 
from the OC Register:

For those who fear Trump, there’s only one option


Nov. 17, 2016
Updated Nov. 21, 2016 9:00 a.m.

By ERWIN CHEMERINSKY/ Contributing columnist

excerpt:
What do I tell my law students who feel despair at the election of Donald Trump as president and fear what it will mean for the law and the legal system? What do I tell my 22-year-old son who seriously wonders whether it is time to leave the country?
I try to tell them the institutions of American government are resilient and will protect our most cherished values, including the rule of law....
....I try to tell them the country has had a variety of different kinds of presidents before, and the pendulum swings back. Twelve years of Ronald Reagan and George Bush were followed by eight years of Bill Clinton; eight years of George W. Bush, followed by eight years of Obama. I try to reassure them that this too shall pass.
But then I realize that Reagan and George W. Bush had been governors of California and Texas respectively, the two largest states in the country. Trump is the least qualified person ever elected president. I remember that Reagan and Bush at least nodded to compassion. Reagan spoke of preserving a “safety net” for the less fortunate. Bush promised compassionate conservativism. I cannot find a shred of such rhetoric from Trump or those who supported him.....

To read the essay in its entirety, click here.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He conveniently left out the fact that Obama had absolutely no executive experience in public nor private sectors while Trump has plenty in the private sector. I believe that makes Obama the least qualified president ever.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...