Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pillar of Salt

At 1:45 am the Register reported mandatory evacuations in Modjeska Canyon and said that fire authorities expect a loss of structures there.

We evacuated just after 10:00 pm and are now safe in the home of friends in Lake Forest. Everyone but me is asleep. I can't sleep.

As we drove the grade out of the canyon, I could finally see the fierce sweep of the fire. Somehow, looking back, I could see what I had been in. I was relieved to be leaving, but deeply sad too. I remembered Lot's wife, her backward glance and the pillar of salt she became. I feel like that now.

That said, I am fine. I have my family and we have friends in many places who have made this difficult day easier.

No comments:

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...