Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The best sandwich ever (fire news)

I've only got a second.

Well, police drove in to our little canyon today at about 2:30 and informed us that there was a "mandatory evacuation."

Just like that. It was the first time we'd seen anybody.

An hour and a half later, we took the three cars—I was in my Chrysler 300—and headed out. By then, a huge plume of smoke appeared toward Modjeska Canyon. It seemed very close, very energetic. We could see flames, too.

"Maybe we should go," I said.

Well, it wasn't easy, but we left our beautiful canyon behind. What happened after that, we have no idea.

A few minutes later, we were in a park in Mission Viejo, looking back at the mountains with lots of other people. There were huge flames in the area above Hamilton Trail (I think), near our place. There was no way to tell whether the fire had got to our homes or even still threatened them.

We saw two weird aircraft dropping pink fire retardant on the hillsides. That seemed effective. I held Sunny Girl. Didn't want to leave her in the car, 'cause she yammered so. As I held her, she was very good, clinging to her dad, saying nothing.

But it was very odd and disconcerting standing there with all these people, watching our mountains go up in smoke.

Well, we will live as vagabonds for a time. Sunny's staying with J&K for now. I'll likely be moving in with the Janster, maybe tonight.

I saw Red Emma earlier today. My mom made him a sandwich. "This is the best sandwich ever," declared Red. My mom was pleased that he liked it.

Red and I watched the TV news, which was largely infuriating for the predictable reasons. None of our questions was answered. Much of the reporting was confused or outdated.

Later, after Red left, I had a real moment, collecting things for the car. I felt that—well, never mind. I felt very low.

Don't know what's become of the Reb's place, Red Emma's place. Does anyone know what's become of Modjeska Canyon?

But I am sure everybody's safe.

When we were in Mission Viejo, my mom looked at me and said, "Don't worry! We'll build it again!" She smiled.

I thought I had hid it well. I thought she could never be that strong again.

A lot I know.

I'll be in class tomorrow, I think. See you around!

(Image: Chunk's mom, 1952.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have answering machines I recommend that you call home to them, see if they pick up - that might give you some hope -- or take it all away... either way, you'll be informed.

Really, your best place for "up to date news" seems to be Google News - where you can see news pop in literally minutes after it is added. Use specific search queries to get more relevant information.

I hope this helped man, stay safe -

Anonymous said...

I have found that personal blogs are the best places to get information this week on the fires all over southern CA. Try this one as a start: http://www.theliberaloc.com/

I am sorry for your displacement, and I hope that your home is safe.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, Sunny girl she is scared. Hold her tight chunk. We are thinking of you and hoping for the best for you and others.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chunk and Sunny! Aziz the cat says hi too! We are sending the spirit of Elizabeth, the Xicana cat from L.A. now buried in the Louisiana garden, home to watch over you!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...