Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Afternoon

On our way home from a quick lunch and shop, we stopped by the Red Cross evacuation center at the El Toro High School gym. They're packed in- old folks, young ones, kids. Lots of cots, wheelchairs, tables with slices of cheese, meat and pickles. Cheery banners handpainted in bright tempera paint hang on the walls: YOU ARE SAFE HERE. The young kids are all in the adjacent basktball court throwing the occasional basket and drawing pictures with crayons and pens. Two TVS in the big room broadcast the nonstop TV coverage. People stare. Some sleep. What else can they do? What else is there to do?

I worry about the kids. There is not enough for them to do. If you have any ideas, perhaps some board games or something similar sitting around in your intact garage, you might want to drop them by. Who know how long they will be there? It's already been too long. You can tell.

We dropped by to see if I could find our next door neighbor, an older widow with two dogs, two cats. She wasn't there. I didn't see anyone from Modjeska. My friend told me that many people in the shelter were from San Diego.

Modjeska, by the way, is now too dangerous for firefighters on the ground or air. They moved on to other fights that they can win. That's the right thing to do.

As I drove out yesterday I admired those strangers who were staying behind to spend the night with that fire.

What are they paid? Never enough, I think. At times like these, many are anxious to call them heroes.

Remember this next time the local fire department wants more money for more equipment, more hires, more training -- and the request is on the ballot. Remember this next time their contract is up for negotiation.

Take care. Be safe. We're fine. Hope you are too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reb, your posts are very brave considering your home may be in danger. Let's hope you get back there very soon.

Rebel Girl said...

I believe my home is now gone. I believe the ashes in the air right now drifting over Lake Forest are from my home: our books, my son's toys, our Mexican furniture, our clothes, our shared life of nearly 25 years.

When Red and I first got together years ago, we had nearly nothing.

We can do it again. We have more now. We have our son. We can do it.

I am not trying to be brave but I am trying to think instead of only feel. If I only felt, well, I couldn't write.

RED EMMA who just returned says that Roy and his folks are evacuating at this moment at the directions of the sheriffs. RED and ROY packed his car with guitars and the DISSSENT hard drive.

More later.

Anonymous said...

There are no words, Red. We love you.xo

Jonathan K. Cohen said...

Dear Reb:

We're thinking of you. We wish we could do more.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...