Thursday, July 8, 2010

The fine beasts of '86

     I found a large manilla envelope in the cupboard where my folks keep their "vacation slides." In it were, not slides, but many color negatives--mostly pictures taken by my mother starting in '86, when my dad bought her a Nikon. They'd never been processed into photos or slides.
     There's a lot there. So I started with these pics from 1986 of Sepl the wonderful German Shepherd pup.
     Sepl is quite legendary owing in part to his being my dad's pal and his "construction dog." Those two would go around together everywhere in dad's Toyota truck. Zep would even sit next to my dad when he ran his tractor, a small JD.
     When I found the negatives, I showed one of the strips to my dad, who has long complained of having no pictures of Sepl. He held the strip up to light and said, "These seem to be photos of a little pig."
     Nope. Not a little pig. Sepl the Wonderdog!

Not long after the great and noble Attila died, my dad brought home Sepl (or Zeppie), a truly wonderful little man. 

Mom loves puppies and kittens. She loved her "little boy" Sepl.

Ronnie was away at college back then. He loved to come home to play with little Zeppie.

One day, years earlier, brother Ray brought home a pregnant cat named "Bobbie."
Bobbie had seven or so kittens. Ray gave away one or two of 'em. The rest ended up living with my folks in the Santa Ana Mountains.
This is "Felix" or "Fat Thing" (don't ask). According to my dad, little Fat Thing was the queen of the cats. She pretty much ran things. Slept with my folks.

The lovely and royal Ildy, Attila's "mate," was still with us. Ronnie was very close to "Ildy Pie."
Ildy was pretty much an invalid by then. She tolerated young Zeppie. Barely.

Here's goofy young Zep, testing Ildy's patience.

Zep didn't have a single mean bone in his body.

Here's one of Bobbie's kittens, the aloof and beautiful Greyball. She lived to be twenty-two.

Nobody fooled around with Greyball.

Zeppie and the cats, chowin' down. That's Moon Unit on the left and Toby in front of her.

Fat Girl on patrol.

I do believe that my mom took these pictures with her fancy new Nikon (back in '86).
Mostly, though, mom's into pottery.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fat Thing looks like an awesome cat!

BvT said...

Fat Thing was very much in control of the beasts in Bauers' Canyon. My dad would leave the window behind his bed open a crack so she could come and go as she wished during the night.

Anonymous said...

Zeppie--the very image of innocence and play!!! What a wonderful, sweet boy he was.

MAH

Anonymous said...

You can't go wrong with puppy pix.

If you can, how about some more of the folks' pottery?

BvT said...

11:28, I dropped by the folks today, and I took a few shots of some of their pottery. I'll post it later today when I've got the time. Some nice stuff.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...