Thursday, July 8, 2010

Some of Sierra and Manny's pottery

Several Dissent readers have requested photos of my mom's pottery.
I've shown some of her work before, but not for a long time.
I happened to be at my folks' place today and I had my camera but I only had my macro lens. Well, I worked with what I had.
Above and below, we see two sides of one of mom's pots. (I call her "mom," but the rest of the world seems to call her either "Sierra" or "Edith.")

Mom used to be a painter.

Me, I go for simple and elegant designs, like this one.

It's hard to tell, but this thing is big.
I think I messed up my back puttin' it on the kitchen table. Sheesh.

This is one of my dad's efforts in clay (he paints too).
That's all I'll say about it.
But I do like it.

Another one of my mom's (i.e., Sierra's) efforts. Very delicate.



This is one of my dad's. Did I mention that people call him "Manny"?

His real name is "Gunther Manfred"

Another simple, elegant design. This is the smallest of a set of three. You know, my back.

Something I found in a corner of their home.

Well, there you go. You can't walk around there without tripping over one of these dang things.


     Earlier, I mislabeled this photo at left. Nope, it isn't a picture of mom when she got off the boat; rather, it is a picture of mom just before she boarded the boat (ultimately to Canada). So the picture was taken in Germany.

     The next photo was taken of my dad maybe a year or two earlier in Germany.

4 comments:

Bob Cosgrove said...

Professor Bauer: where are your artistic clay and ceramic pieces? Surely you must have some artistic genes in your body that have created objects of art, aside from this clever blog.

Bob here.

BvT said...

I'd show 'em, dude, but I find that they're much too fabulous for most folks to take.

Anonymous said...

Please let Dissenters know when these two artists have a show of their work.

BvT said...

They've never shown their work and it is unlikely they ever will. I've suggested to them that they get their stuff "out there" more, but they don't seem interested in that. --BvT

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...