Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Archives: '72 backpacking trip, '81 elk trip, '81 rattlesnake venom hospital trip

A picture taken during the family's Mt. Whitney/Kern River trip of the summer of 1972.

A family tradition: after two weeks backpacking in the Sierra Nevada, it was off to picnic grounds (usually in the town of Bishop) for a feast. Our nutritional deficiencies were such that we craved odd foods, such as onions! Vitamin C, I suppose. And fried chicken! We'd eat the onions with butter on world-famous Sheepherder Bread (bought at Schat's Bakkery, Bishop). I do believe these feasts were the best part of our backpacking trips.

On these two week trips, we ate only what we could carry on our backs--and what we could fish from the lakes and creeks. Here I am fishing with my little bro Ron.

Annie was eighteen and a bit of a rebel. (Unlike me. I was an Eagle Scout.)

She actually met her future husband on this trip--at a lake near the Kern River.

They got to talking and, well, that was it, I guess--at least for Dave. When we got back to OC, Dave, who lived in Long Beach, started coming around a lot, driving a 1938 Dodge (Pontiac?), with bullet holes in the back. 
He was twenty-six, a vet (Air Force), and about to graduate from Cal Poly, Pomona. Annie had just graduated from high school.

My dad took these pictures of elk during a trip in 1981 (with Ron and my mom; Annie, Ray, and I were long gone). They were at some sort of state reserve in Northern California, on the beach near the Oregon border.

A detail.



By that year, my crazy brother Ray had taken up a very odd hobby: catching rattlesnakes with his bare hands. He did this with a pal of his (his name was "Otis" or "Ferd" or something) on the family property. My dad kept comin' around and saying, "You guys are gonna get bit. Then what?" They just laughed. "No way!"
Sure enough, Ray's pal, who was older but not wiser than Ray, soon yelped and hollered. Ray drove 'im to the hospital. I think he was OK that time.
Pretty soon, the guy was back and they were catching rattlers again. We couldn't believe it. My dad made the obvious points. I don't know why he bothers.
Sure enough, there was another yowl, and off they went to the hospital again. This time, the guy lost a part of his thumb or something.
Soon, he was back again, catching more rattlers. He showed me what was left of his thumb.
I don't know what ever happened to that guy. 

10 comments:

13 Stoploss said...

Awesome of the most pure.

Best yet.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Annie. ES

Anonymous said...

Nice narration, too. A fine job.

Anonymous said...

More photo archives please! ES

Roy Bauer said...

I'm always amazed that anyone outside the family is interested in these old pictures! Sure, I'll post some more. ¶ I'm doing several things this summer, one of which is the ongoing archive project. After a few hours of scanning/Photoshopping, I try to find time to pull out a few and post them. I'll likely be able to do that again tonight or tomorrow night. ¶ Just be glad I don't post certain photos of you, my dear Sheena of the Jungle. (Nothing outrageous, but still...). You would instantly become DtB's pinup gal. I'm not sure how Rebel Girl would fell about that. She might just hit me with a brick upside the head.

Anonymous said...

I still wanna see the Sheena motorcycle pictures!

MAH

Anonymous said...

I must spill and let you know in all the years the Dissent has been online my favorite thing has been these family photos and your accompanying stories(narration)That is not to say that everything else is not as good. I don't mean that at all!( I am quite partial to the pics of Sunny Girl) I am just finding it so interesting and heart warming to learn about your family. I know that you are a guy with many interests and I hope you do not tire of posting these. If you do...pu-leese spread out your postings (I am selfishly asking) so I can continue the pleasure of learning more about your family . It is like an interesting biography that I am getting to dip in week by week. I am getting more hooked with each turn of the page or should I say "posting". It is really lovely. Thank you.

Roy Bauer said...

MAH, I don't dare.

Anonymous said...

Wuss.

Anonymous said...

You can send them to MAH in an email, as long as she promises to still respect me in the morning. ES

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...