Thursday, May 7, 2009

Long day, then sundown

At the top of the grade, just after old Hamilton Truck Trail, I saw the spooky old trees to the left, just as the sun was going down, and the hills looked old and strange and full of Mystery History, which I love.

I had my camera, so I stopped, parked my Chrysler along Live Oak, walked across the road.

It was too late for my flash to do any good, so I took a few shots, holding the camera as still as possible.

Here's one of those old trees, next to some spooky old grass, on this spooky old night. Ain't much of a photograph, I know, but, I tell you, there's something weird and wonderful about this old tree with its big branches and frizzy, tiny micro-branches, right there where the old stagecoaches used to come and go up in these old hills, one hundred years ago.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Chunk. Why no commentary on your boy John Williams and the OC Grand Jury? Seems odd not to see you jump all over this.

Anonymous said...

I love the poetry of your last paragraph, Roy. Nice. The quality of the photos just enhances the spookiness!

Anonymous said...

Click on the photos! Check out the detail!

Lauren Madeline Curtis said...

Sweet pictures. I have a bunch of pictures from Blackstar Canyon.

Here, these are fairly recent:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/109/l_9a25329e855f47948640bec09c5c02ae.jpg

My friend who chipped his tooth after stating he doesn't believe in freewill:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/105/l_c579d6d633af44b5b3860e00162e48e0.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/73/l_0709f79dc2e44125bb81cdce00491b66.jpg

Oh and I remember you saying something in class about finding humor in torturing kittens. Well, as much as my kitties may hate me for it, I find it highly entertaining as well. Here is my kitten hating my guts:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/71/l_ef456374fe0c4cd6a2abb189c370fe35.jpg

I have a bunch of my photography open for the public to see on my myspace. I highly doubt that you have one, but let me know if you'd like to see some more of my shtuff. I have a few pictures from my Alaska trip on there. Do you have a site where the public can see your pictures?

What kind of camera do you use?

-L. Curtis

Anonymous said...

Oh, YEAH, 10:50: seeing the detail actually gave me shivers! Those spectral yucca flowers add a whole 'nother dimension of spookiness to the firs two photos. That one hovering over Chunk's car is like some kind of ghost!

Most excellent.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...