Monday, March 3, 2008

Rebel Girl's Poetry Corner: "my shining loaf of quietness"

~
Today's poem comes from Peter Everwine, who has shared the red dust of the San Joaquin Valley for years with poet Philip Levine at Fresno State.

The loaves are courtesy of my own Sunday: 3 cups of lukewarm water, salt, a tablespoon and a half of yeast, 6 and half cups flour. One four or five hour rise, one 40 minute rest. 30 minutes in a hot oven with steam.

Night

In the lamplight falling
on the white tablecloth
my plate,
my shining loaf of quietness.

I sit down.
through the open door
all the absent I love enter
and we eat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous loaves!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! Will make some this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Comme le poeme est beau!!!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...