Monday, October 1, 2007

Inarticulate anarchists at Irvine Valley College

THIS MORNING, Rebel Girl told me that she noticed something odd on campus. She took me out to the construction site of Irvine Valley College’s Business Technology Innovation Center, which is near the Library. The site is surrounded by the usual green construction fence (see). On that fence, someone had drawn a big question mark with a circle at the bottom. In the circle was the letter “A.”

“That circle-A—that’s the symbol for anarchism,” said Reb.

I could see at least two other places on the fence where the same graffito had been drawn.

We stared at one of them.

“OK, but what’s it mean?”, I asked.

“Dunno.”

Later, I looked up “Anarchism symbols” on the web. Wikipedia asserts that, “While anarchists have historically largely denied the importance of symbols to political movement, [they] have embraced certain symbols for their cause, including most prominently the circle-A and the black flag.”

Well, we haven’t spotted any black flags yet.

What do you suppose these anarchists, if that’s who they are, are trying to say?

I’ve got some ideas:

WHAT ARE THESE INARTICULATE ANARCHISTS TRYING TO SAY?

Interpretation #1:
Is this the new O.C. Chomsky Building we keep hearing about?
Interpretation #2:
I think I’m an anarchist, but I’m not entirely sure.
Interpretation #3:
Fellow anarchists: check out this fabulous green plastic camo!
—Let us know if you've got better ideas. No doubt you do.

Sunny says "hey." —CW

8 comments:

Rebel Girl said...

Then again, another reading might be: Question Authority (A = authority).

Yes, there's quite a few, drawn in white chaulk, all along the perimeter of the building site.

Anonymous said...

Could it be the contractor?
Was it located where windows will go in the future?
If it is the contractor and it is near the windows, then be ready for windows going in backward and getting mold in a few years.
Come to think of it there were question marks on the BGS when they were building it too!

I hope it is just bored rebellious kids.

Bohrstein said...

I can't tell what the writing is in, but it doesn't look like it was written with something your average student is walking around with. In fact, lots of students, like me, will try to carry nothing if at all possible (except a pen in my pants, which often leaves me stained in many ways).

I'd bet its nothing significant.

Anonymous said...

it's spelled chalk. College Professors....sheeesh....

Rebel Girl said...

Yeah, I know, bad typing skills plus middle-aged parenthood.

Anonymous said...

You mean to tell me that Sunny's not a lefty? Or at least a Democrat?

Anonymous said...

I suspect that the Sunny-Girl, if she deigned to be political, would join the mysterious anarchists on your campus (well, just join them in spirit, I mean). Yet she wisely eschews, abhors, contemns, and ignores politics, as does many a fine feline, in my experience.

Anonymous said...

ATEP = Another Tremendously Expensive Project

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...