Saturday, June 30, 2007

Golden hour with Limber Lou in Modjeska Cyn.

I told Lou about "Golden Hour." We looked at the trees, the hills, the sky.

Lou was the only kid at the little party. He had made name tags for everyone. He was pretty serious about those name tags.

Lou showed me his bike-riding technique on the roof. It was good. He was goin' counter-clockwise. "Go clockwise," I said. I explained that.

After a while, he said, "I know how to ride a bike."

"Yeah? But not clockwise. Not on this roof."

Limber Lou's a good kid. I like his hair.

I heard his dad call him "monkey." I smiled. I just call him "Bud."

I keep waiting for him to say, "My name's not Bud." But he never seems to get there. Why?

It's like we have a special bond or something.

And now he knows about Golden Hour.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's deep in so many ways. Well done Chunk - I appreciate the "Golden Hour" touch.

Originally I thought this post had something to do with drinking, so I was shocked when, initially, I saw pictures of a little kid.

But it ended well.

Anonymous said...

When he is older, he will learn how to fight poverty, war, and injustice. Then he'll rebel and become a hedge fund manager. (Yes, I know, BTDT, Alex P. Keaton, etc.)

Anonymous said...

ah yes, 7:37, that explains the right-wing reactionary politics of my cousins - clearly they nmust have been raised in that outpost of French existentsialists in Tustin.

Right.

George W. fits that mold too.

Jonathan K. Cohen said...

Well, the existentalists have gone with the Diedrich's, formerly at Main and Newport. I remember hearing authors bloviate about the newest manuscripts they weren't writing -- it was a little like Montparnasse. Now the existentialists will have to find someplace else to congregate.

Anonymous said...

What an incredibly cool thing to teach a kid about both the "golden hour" AND "counter-clock-wise." You are kids' best friend, Chunk.

Anonymous said...

I have another good one for Limber Lou: crepuscular rays. A creepy-sounding word for a transcendently beautiful phenomenon. I found it in the links included in "golden hour." Neat.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...