Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jay and Milchiker voted against Burnett

Video of the June 24 meeting of the SOCCCD Board of Trustees is now available here. I had the opportunity to view the first twenty minutes or so. I was surprised to discover that the appointment of Tod Burnett (Prez of Saddleback College) was not unanimous. (See below.)

Here are some highlights:

00:00:39
Clerk Tom Fuentes reads out actions taken during closed session. He reports that Tod Burnett was approved as Saddleback College President on a 5/2 vote, with Bill Jay and Marcia Milchiker voting against.

Wow. Perhaps J&M were displeased that Mathur disregarded the recommendations of the search committee (he interviewed the committee’s three recommendations and then went back into the pool, pulling out Burnett). Boards typically seek to approve top administrators unanimously. Further, Burnett, though impressive, seems to lack college administrative experience.

00:05:30
Math professor Karla Westphal declares that she was “appalled” by Wagner’s speech at the recent Scholarship event. She is disappointed that only Trustee Padberg urged Wagner to apologize.

00:08:38
Nancy Padberg stands by her words regarding Wagner and the scholarship event.

00:09:09
Tom Fuentes says he returns “30 pounds lighter” and with “gratitude to God,” after his liver transplant surgery.

00:15:00
Wagner: “I’ve had the privilege, the pleasure, of serving on the IVC Accreditation Focus Group over the course of the last several months and it has been quite an eye-opening experience; there’s been a lot of give and take, a lot of frank…discussion…; it’s a group [that’s]…just a pleasure to be involved with; chaired by President Roquemore and co-chaired by Wendy Gabriella and [Vice] President Justice. You guys are just doing a great job. I thank you for the opportunity to participate. I think we’re doing some great work for the colleges, and for IVC in particular, and I’ve really enjoyed my time there, so thank you…it is an all-star group….”

00:19:30
Mathur: Summer enrollments are up 7.5%. Blah, blah, blah. Mathur praises outgoing Saddleback President Rich McCullough, a man that Mathur in fact pressured out. “Let’s all give him a standing ovation,” said Mathur.

00:24:00
Fuentes wants to develop a policy regarding naming new buildings.

01:40:00
Re tentative budget. Discussion of the reserve. Poertner explains what is meant by "basic aid" money. Lots of disagreement.

02:07:00
IVC Senate Prez Wendy Gabriella gives her report.

A SONG FOR YOU. I offer yet another obscurity, this one by Peter Sarstedt in 1969. I used to love this song, though I knew nothing about it or the singer. It was just mystery music emerging from my little Philco radio by the side of my bed. But if I love a song, it plays in my head forever. So, tonight, nearly forty years later, I did some searching and found it (by reviewing a list of British "tops of the pops"). The song was by Peter Sarstedt. I read about him. They offered Sarstedt a TV show, but he said no; he walked away from fame and fortune. Never had another hit. Maybe you'll remember "Where do you go to, my lovely?," but I think you'd have to be over 50. I wonder: for many of my generation, this song had a certain magic. Does it have magic, too, for young people today?



OK, I can't help myself. Gotta love Dusty Springfield. "You don't have to say you love me," from 1967:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great music! Dusty Springfield's song is one of my favorites! Thanks for posting :)

Anonymous said...

Ever wonder why Mathur always prefers the tall white boys to anyone else in the pools? And guys with no experience but "advanced degrees" that have NOTHING to do with the work at hand? Is this part of his pathology?

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...