Friday, July 28, 2023

My Lymphoma adventures: it's the bubble life for me

I did my pivotal PETscan yesterday (routinely done midway through the long chemo regimen). 

Feeling pretty light-headed and run down, I went into the cancer center this morning to get results from Dr. N. Before that, I had my blood drawn and the results were very poor. 

I began to think the end is near. I imagined N explaining, "Sorry, but nobody survives with these numbers!"

Then N blew in saying the scan results are "very good" and maybe even "exciting." All indicators are positive: no signs of lymphoma anywhere. 

What about the dreadful blood test? —Red and white blood cell counts really low; my platelets are down to 39 (normal starts at 150)!

Well, as it turns out, you should expect low blood numbers right after chemo, and I'm a week out from my last infusion, and so that's what that's about. N was not concerned. 

He did say: don't get sick; live in a bubble. Don't be takin' up skateboarding.

They gave me a red blood cell booster shot and then they spun me out the door. 

Batten down the bubble hatch! Full steam ahead! --Roy

No comments:

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...