Monday, March 4, 2019

Lee Haggerty, RIP

     This afternoon, the Chancellor's office forwarded this letter from Saddleback's Pres. Stern to the district community:
Dear Colleagues,
     It is with great sadness that I inform you that Lee Haggerty, a longtime professor of political science at Saddleback College, passed away early in the morning of Sunday, March 3 at Mission Hospital, of complications from stroke.  He was 73.
     A graduate of Stanford University and the UCLA School of Law, Lee served as a part-time and full-time political science instructor in the division of social and behavioral sciences for over 37 years. He taught a variety of courses, but is best known for his teachings of American government, international relations, comparative politics, and African-American history. He served as an advisor for various student clubs on campus, including the Black Student Union and Model United Nations. He made an undeniable impact to countless students.
     Well respected and admired, Lee served as a leader both in his department and within the Academic Senate and Faculty Association, of which he was a lead negotiator. He was passionate about legislative issues and advocacy for students, and advocated at the local and state levels as an active member of the Saddleback College Academic Senate and the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges.
     Christina Hinkle, dean of social and behavioral sciences, shared, “Lee was a remarkable instructor and colleague and will be missed beyond measure.  I was fortunate to have him as a professor when I was a student here at Saddleback; he inspired me reconsider my plans at the time and pursue a career in teaching and higher education. He saw something in me I hadn’t seen in myself and his belief in me was a powerful influence. I know he did the same for an untold number of students.  I will miss him greatly, as will his colleagues and students.”
     Lee’s burial will take place in Dallas, Texas, which is where his family is located and where Lee lived before settling in California.  In honor of Lee’s enduring legacy at Saddleback College, the foundation will be establishing a scholarship fund in his memory.
     For assistance with grief and loss, any employee can refer to the District Employee Assistance Program (EAP) by calling (855) 775-4357 or rsli@acieap.  Employees can also visithttp://rsli.acieap.com for additional help and resources. 
Sincerely,
Elliot Stern
President

19 comments:

Bob Cosgrove said...

I will miss Lee. He was an engaging teacher and an exceptional colleague.

Bob Cosgrove

Anonymous said...

Lee was a good guy. He showed up. He was one of the few African American hires for many, many years. It couldn't have been easy.

Brenda Borron said...

Recently-hired faculty may be unaware of the pivotal role Lee played in uniting our Faculty Association during a time of deep division. I was fortunate to serve as union secretary when Lee was president, and, in this capacity, I came to know him not only as a fearless defender of the faculty, but also as a warm, engaging, and dedicated friend who loved his discipline and loved his students. My heart is breaking right now, and I will so miss his lovely smile and reassuring voice. What a loss this is for all of us!

Mark Sierakowski said...

Lee was a truly great instructor and also a great person. He was always was good to the classified staff.

Anonymous said...

Will there be a memorial at Saddleback for him?

Anonymous said...

His Division is working on one and an email will go out. The family is out of state.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for this.

Susan Sweet said...


Lee Haggerty was my first teacher at Irvine Valley College. He taught part time on Saturdays at that time. Lee enjoyed teaching, he enjoyed watching his students learn and gave confidence to his students and always invited open and lively conversations. Over the years we continued our friendship and I ran into him often at Saddleback College. That wonderful grin, that "Hello Mrs. Sweet!," that fellow eager to teach was always part of him. Rest Well Lee.....we were all lucky to have you as our teacher.

Bob Cosgrove said...

Well expressed, Susan.

Thee Counselor said...

This message is for all of us "Gauchos fans and Students "present and former and past I met Professor Lee Haggerty 01/10/2004. had lunch with him just last year.
I was shocked to hear of the passing of an Exceptional Human Being ,i visited Saddle back College today 4/23/2019 and was told there will be a memorial on May 8,2019,at 1:30 pm.
I am a former graduate student with a double major A.O.D. certificate and Associate Science degree Paralegal Certificate Studies, and i owe this to Lee Haggerty and other saddleback Staff,Thank you Lee for the Wisdom, your expertise in communications.
By the way when my turn comes i will continue to out dress you and in the promise land.... by the way do you think they have Joseph A. Bank Suits ....The Counselor 2019

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for a district-wide announcement of a memorial...Lee did so much.

Anonymous said...

I had him for two PLSC classes. Great teacher smart guy. So sad. I wouldn't be at the number law school in the world if it wasn't for Lee. Such a smart guy went to UCLA Law and Stanford should have been teaching at a prestigious school such as SMU. We will all miss him. RIP. I know we will all miss him.

All love,
Former Student
He taught us so much in MUN
very sad
My deepest condolences to his family
SaddleBack Legend
Such a sweet man

I am at a loss of words...

Nora said...

So, sad to read this post. Mr. Haggerty was one of the best teachers I have ever had. He will be always in my memory and my heart. Thanks Mr. Harggerty for your magnificent classes and for our conversations.
All my love from Barcelona, Spain.
Nora

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear of his passing. His heart regarding the students he taught and those who simply ran across was so genuine. I took a couple classes with Lee as the teacher because his ways of teaching were so engaging. Anybody lucky enough to have been in the classroom he was teaching in will tell you the same. Back in 1983,1984 I was taking classes there. I also had a business and remember not being able to take my due to the business and having to run my shop. His giving me an incomplete instead of a failure allowed me and motivated me to return and take the class to the end. I did that and was pleased I did.

On another occasion the Saddleback North Campus in Irvine had a ski club and there was a trip to Park City planned but the instructor who was scheduled to go cancelled for whatever reason and this trip was about to be cancelled as well. When hearing of this Mr. Lee Haggerty called his wife and told her he wanted to assist the students and accompany them so the trip could go off as planned. This was during the Thanksgiving holiday. He did not ski and was simply making sure that those who were looking forward were able to do so as planned. I had a couple encounters with Lee over the next few years and was always so pleased to share a beer and a story or thought. Truly a great man and always dressed to impress.

RIP,

Paul Peloso

Unknown said...

Professor Lee Haggerty was a personal mentor of mine, in addition to being my professor. He is the reason I made it through college. May God bless him and his family. His legacy will live in the countless students he inspired.

Thee Counselor said...

True that Professor Lee is and will always be inspiration for all those with Intelligence capabilities and being Genuine and Keeping it 100% Real ,may he rest in peace, and those of us who were Blessed with One of Gods Creation may they continue to spread his wisdom, Educational learning into there Daily Lives.
Thee Counselor 2020

Anonymous said...

Had him for International Relations, really interesting and challenging class. Good memories, RIP.

Anonymous said...

Lee was a good man and colleague. I thought about him this week during the union meeting. He helped make things better.

Anonymous said...

@11:55AM, You’re a good man and colleague too. I also thought about you this week during the union meeting. - - Lee

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...