Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Fire news

Cook's Corner at Santiago Canyon and Live Oak Canyon, c. 1970

     I'm having trouble finding decent coverage of the Silverado fire, as it concerns its eastern flank.
     I do believe the fire people don't expect this fire to be fully contained until the 11th of November, but I suspect that that factoid makes the situation seem worse than it is. Indications are (I think) that the fire authorities have done a lot to contain this monster.
     The Reb and crew are safe and sound. My bro's family got lucky and just missed the mandatory evacuations in east Irvine. The air there has been pretty bad but things are definitely slowly getting back to normal, at least in my brother's part of east Irvine.
     I did find the same "hot spot" map (see yesterday), only updated. It looks good:

Rebel Girl's place and my place are represented by blue dots on the right (bottom half).

     Hotspot-wise, we seems to be much better off than yesterday. Here's yesterday's map:

Again, look for the blue dots.

Here's yet another "hotspot" map, done from satellite:

The darker the spot, the older it is, I think. The light blue spot at lower right isn't a hot spot;
it seems to be Modjeska Canyon, or near there. My place is down from there
and a little to the right. So I think we're sittin' pretty.

Teddy says "hey."

I've added some pics below that the Reb took yesterday:

Looking west, I think, from Santiago Canyon Rd.,
near the southernmost Modjeska turnoff.

Same vantage point. Is that Whiting Ranch back there?

GRATUITOUS HISTORICAL IMAGERY (The Santa Ana Mountains):

El Toro Marine Base (now Irvine), May 1945

An 1886 photo of the Lawson family, residents of Hagador Canyon. Hagador Canyon
is in the northeastern Santa Anas, near Corona, CA

No comments:

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...