Monday, April 23, 2018

Proudly atop Mathur's Shit List

     Raghu Mathur has a blog of sorts. Well, it isn’t really a blog, since it isn’t a record of events (i.e., a log) and it isn’t regularly updated.
     Showing his usual flair for language, Mathur calls it “Dr. Raghu Mathur Statement.” It sports just five posts from September 12, 2012 to July 28, 2013.
     Post titles include:
  • My Philosophy and Experiences as a Student Centered Chancellor of SOCCCD
  • My Accomplishments as Chancellor of South Orange County Community College District
  • Reason For My Retirement as Chancellor from SOCCCD
     The latter post starts with this paragraph:
     I had the privilege of serving as the Chancellor of South Orange County Community College District for nine years…. Per direction and support of a majority of the Board of Trustees, I was engaged in tough and successful contract negotiations with the faculty and staff unions under declining economic conditions…. However, a disgruntled faculty union member had created blog with continued irresponsible, unprofessional and defamatory false statements about me and my outstanding work as Chancellor....
     I wish to draw attention to the last sentence, which refers to a “disgruntled faculty union member” who "created [a] blog."
     Is that supposed to be me?
     Guess so.
     I ask, since, though I am technically a member of the union (Faculty Association), I have never been particularly associated with it. I've long had a strained relationship with that organization, which I helped to reform twenty or so years ago. Ever since, union leadership clearly hasn't appreciated my efforts as a blogger, and I don’t appreciate their lack of appreciation. Dissent the Blog—and our earlier newsletters (Dissent, the ‘Vine)—have never pretended to speak for the union and have seldom championed the union’s causes.
     On the other hand, I'm sure that Dissent the Blog looms large in Mathur’s consciousness, for it has often drawn attention to the fellow’s misdeeds and lowly character and has often inspired critical pieces about him and his corrupt pals in local newspapers and websites.
     Occasionally, I feel dejected, believing that Dissent the Blog is, to use Wittgenstein’s phrase, "a wheel that turns even though nothing else turns with it, and is therefore no part of the mechanism." I have often felt that DtB is precisely such a wheel, a useless thing.
     At such times, Rebel Girl always reminds me that those we criticize, if no one else, are avid and impassioned DtB readers!

A blog called "Dr. Raghu Mathur Statement"

2 comments:

Bob Cosgrove said...

You have a legacy, Roy. Enjoy it.

Thanks for creating this blog for WHAT EVER REASON.

Anonymous said...

It's true! They read the blog! That's why they updated the Crime Blotter. You can say things in meetings and write emails that they ignore but if it's on the blog, they jump. The power of the press.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...