Wednesday, November 5, 2014

As it turns out

"You still write for the Orange County Register?" the older Latina asks as she monitors the young volunteers helping voters at Franklin Elementary School in SanTana.
"No, I never wrote for the Register," I say. "I write for the Weekly."

Pause.
"You still write for the Orange County Weekly?" she asks.
"Yes."
"You should write about the Orange County Register."
"I do."
Pause.
"They don't deliver my newspaper anymore, until I called them and said I was canceling my subscription--and then they started delivering again."
"You should still cancel your subscription--the Register sucks."

Pause.
"How much is a subscription for Orange County Weekly?
"Free."
Pause.
"I like subscribing." (Gustavo Arellano)
From The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener, Martin Gardner

No comments:

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...