Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Once a train station (Jewish friends in Bärwalde)

     When, in1934, my mother, Edith, was christened, a Jewish friend of the family was present and gave her the above hand-made cloth. ("ES" stands for Edith Schultz.)
     When Edith and her Aunt Marthe fled the Russians in 1945, they could take very little with them, but they did take this. When mom emigrated to Canada in 1951, she again took it with her.

An abandoned train station in Bärwalde (Barwice): the last time my mother saw her "Jewish friends" was here

Mom's "mother" (actually, her Aunt Marthe) ran a business, as became necessary when her husband (my mom's stepfather) died in 1941.
Marthe had many good friends in town who were Jewish—evidently in the garment industry. My mother remembers some of these friends well.

This old house was perhaps the home of mom's doctor—likely Jewish.

Yesterday: wandering through the graveyard, finding no familiar names.

Yesterday: a random gravestone

My mother and her Aunt Marthe at mom's father's grave, c. 1941

Mom's Bärwalde home, during the war. It was destroyed during the Russian advance

Edith this morning in Bad Polzin, Pommeria

My father this morning

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures of your travels and reading about your adventures is just fabulous. I feel like I am there...so interesting! The only vacation I am taking this year is a "stay vacation" so I am vicariously vacationing through you this summer. :) And last, but not least, thanks so much for the photos of your folks!!! Love them!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing so much with us -

Anonymous said...

Edith looks happy--good for her!

Anonymous said...

How great that Edith is still there!!!

Anonymous said...

I am inviting to the phorum: http://www.portalbarwice.pl . After log on, many prewar photographs of Baerwalde!

Anonymous said...

Any news about A defector's mystical disappearance?

Bodil said...

Hi,
thank you for sharing your story! My sister and I stumbled over it when trying to find out more about Bärwalde as we are going there this summer to visit our mothers birth place. Imagine our surprise to find your story - our mother's name is also Edith, and we are quite sure that she escaped the Russians at the very same train as your mother. She was four years younger and so doesn't remember quite as much as your mother. Please do get in contact with me if you feel like it!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...