Saturday, April 9, 2011

Arizona is nuts

"By the time I get to Phoenix,
she'll be packin'."
Arizona Approves Law Allowing Guns on Campuses (Chronicle of Higher Education)
     Arizona lawmakers gave final approval on Thursday to a bill that would require the state’s public colleges and universities to allow people to carry weapons, whether concealed or openly, on “public rights of way” through their campuses, The Arizona Republic reported. The bill now goes to Gov. Jan Brewer, who has supported measures to expand gun rights in the past.
Pérez asks sergeant to revoke members' gun permission (Sacbee)
     [California] Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez has asked the lower house's chief sergeant-at-arms to revoke authorization several members were given to carry concealed firearms in the Capitol "pending a full review of safety and security measures."….
Congress could cut scholarships for poorest students (Contra Costa Times)
     Scholarships for low-income college students could be cut back dramatically under a budget deal being considered by Congress on Friday.
     The reductions to Pell Grants are among the options in a Republican proposal to avoid a shutdown of the federal government. Democratic lawmakers have spoken out against the cuts and vowed to fight them.
     Under the House proposal, the maximum Pell Grant would drop by $845 -- to $4,705 per year. Pell Grants were last at that level in 2008, before a series of Democrat-led increases raised it to $5,550.
     The bill also would reduce Pell funding by $66 billion over 10 years….
     —And now this video, for no particular reason—except that Jimmy Webb wrote “By the Time I Get to Phoenix,” a song that annoyed me when I was a kid, but then, one day, driving alone in the night, I listened to the lyrics, felt sad, and nearly drove off the road
     A little too fancy, overwrought. But his words can kill. So, in my book, he's good

I bruise you, you bruise me
We both bruise too easily
Too easily to let it show
I love you, and that's all I know

All my plans have fallen through
All my plans depend on you
Depend on you to help them grow
I love you, and that's all I know

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey BvT, 1) Arizona IS nuts; 2) powerful lyrics, indeed; 3) please set things so that we can view the beautiful, painterly photo of cats in this background full-on.

Thanks!
MAH

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...