Saturday, March 12, 2011

Photos for a Saturday evening

     Been looking at old photos again. Today, I offer a motley assortment:
 Saddleback Park, 1972. As I recall, the park was situated near the landfill above Irvine Lake. Some of my pals at Villa Park High spent a lot of time at this noisy place. The park opened in about 1968 but closed down in '84 owing to lawsuits. It was the first track in the U.S. designed specifically for motocross.
San Clemente in the late 50s (Photos courtesy Orange County Archives)

Balboa, c. late 50s

Balboa: a diver, May 26, 1951. Don't know what he was divin' for.
This is the W.J. Hole Ranch, north of OC. I Googled the name and found this: “Agnes Hole in front of the home built in 1896 by her father, Willets J. Hole, located between present-day Walnut and Citrus streets, north of Whittier Boulevard, in La Habra, Calif. Agnes is sitting on her pet donkey, "Judge", used for transportation to La Habra School. Photograph date circa 1890s.” (See.) Evidently, Willits J. Hole is considered the “father” of the city of La Habra.

3 comments:

Salem Jeepers said...

I still love this photo... even if you didn't give credit to me for taking it.
If you ever feel like it, put "copyright desert4wd" on the lower right. 1972 of course. This was the first motocross race I attended and I was thirteen. The camera was a TLR. Cheers.

Salem Jeepers said...

I should have added, there are several more photos from the same race on flickr.com (for your viewers to visit) under user "desert4wd" keywords, saddleback park, motocross, vintage, etc. It's possible you nabbed my photo before I was concerned with actually printing "copyright" on it but legally that doesn't matter. I'm living and learning.

Roy Bauer said...

Much appreciated, Salem Jeepers! Happy to give credit where credit is due!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...