Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Time passes slowly up here in the mountains

We lost electricity last night. So, this morning, I boiled some water (I've got propane), brought it down to the folks' house (a few hundred yards down the road), and we made coffee.
*
Pa was out with his tractor clearing away the mud in front of a neighbors house, which was piling up at an alarming rate. You've got to keep on top of it.
When he made it back, we thawed out some bagels and had breakfast.

When it rains this hard and steady, everywhere, there are creeks, cutting through the middle of everything and anything. Mostly, you just let it happen.

This is the creek now running down from my place. It was touch and go, but mostly we avoided flooding of anything important. Had to get out the shovels though.

This is along my driveway. Not too bad. Fun to drive through. You kinda aim your car and go. Don't be all prissy about it.

This is the creek crossing on Lambrose Canyon Road. Doesn't look like much (click on it), but it's been mostly impassable since Monday night. It seems to be pretty settled down right now, but, unless your car has good clearance, you're bound to hit and grind nasty rocks as you cross. That happened to me Monday night. I went through there, and there was plenty of scraping and noise, but I did make it across, as usual. But, then, there was a terrible rumble coming from the right side of my big ol' Chrysler 300. I drove up to Hamilton Trail and had a look. It was rainin' cats and dogs! No flat tires or nothin'. The noise didn't seem too bad after a while, so on I went to the store in town. I knew I'd be holed up for a while, so I got plenty of provisions. The creek was getting bad.

My dad and I just jacked up the Chrysler and found a big old branch under it, toward the front. That's all it was.
Sure is quiet otherwise.
And seriously green.
And ain't the rain supposed to quit right about now? Sheesh.
But now the power's back on! Whoopee!
Ain't life good?


Always loved Collins' version of this Dylan song.
Joshua Rifkin arranged it, I think. (He's a piano player.) It's to die for, if you ask me. Swoonworthy fer shure.

NICE PICS FROM THE OC REG:
Trabuco Creek
Silverado Canyon
Laguna Canyon

No comments:

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...