Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Inexplicably cool gizmos: chapter 3

     Maybe it’s just me, but among the good things in life are inexplicably cool gizmos.  
     Consider these gadgets:

     Tiny brass brushes. Way cool. –I know: pipe cleaners. Whatever. I think of them as tiny brass brushes, so shuddup.
     Check out the fabulous bear bottle opener. That’s right. You screw it on the wall and then you open bottles with it. On that bear’s teeth.
     So cool.
     OK, the creamer thingy doesn’t really belong, though it is classic. (There’s no free play in the hinge!) And the hands clip: OK, another misstep. Don't know where that came from.
     I dunno where that little bar of fancy soap came from. It smells good. I like that I don’t know where it came from. Who gave it to me? Hmmmm....
     The gizmo in back is a portable cooling fan, battery powered. I gave it to my niece, who promptly broke it and handed it back to me. I just stuck some floppy Scotch Tape there and it works. Really.
     Now check out this set of doohickeys:


     I got all these toy toolwinkels at the local Home Depot a few days ago. Miniature vice grips! A tiny tape measure! A “pocket caliper”! (Don't really know what that is, but it's cool.)
     A "construction pencil" w/ sharpner!
     What could be better! I'm giving these to my nephew Adam for Christmas. Plus an R/C helicopter.
     One more:
     I found this tiny VW Beetle w/ trailer at an R/C shop in Lake Forest (near City Hall, next to a thrift shop). It even has a tiny engine, slightly smaller than the real thing, but more powerful! Very cool. Adam will love it.
     (If he's anything like me. And he is.)
My bear teeth bottle opener
One of my classic bottle openers
My old phone. Heavier than you'd think. People
used to commit homicide with these things

My old desk lamp. Nice, eh?

Don't agree?
Who can explain a difference in intuitions?
Who can explain the magic of an object?
The universe is full of brute facts,
some about us and what we perceive.
I see magic. You don't?
Oh well.
Brute
Fact

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jellybeans. I like those orange ones with the red splotches.ES

Roy Bauer said...

Yeah, they've got mold splotches. Maybe they're French jelly beans. Or Italian.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...