Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Reg "voter guide": SOCCCD trustee races

   Have you seen the OC Register “voter guide” for the Fall 2010 election?
   Naturally, I looked in particular for any guidance offered in our three SOCCCD trustee races. The Area 2 and Area 5 candidates provided answers to the Reg’s questions. The Area 4 candidates (Nancy Padberg, Jack Frost) did not.

AREA 5:

Marcia Milchiker

What do you think of the district’s spending priorities? What, if anything, should change?
   Through outstanding conservative fiscal management, we are debt free and have no unfunded public employee pension liabilities. We maintain a 7.5 percent reserve at the district level and each individual college (Saddleback College and Irvine Valley College) maintains a similar reserve percentage. We are at the top of fiscally sound community college districts in the nation.
   We spend taxpayers’ funds where it counts, in the classroom.
   I pledge to maintain this conservative fiscal management.

How would you prioritize spending in your budget to minimize the impact of revenue lost to the recession or state budget crisis?
   Our top priority is to spend precious taxpayers’ dollars wisely and where it counts, in the classroom.
We have maintained a substantial reserve and paid off all of our debts.
   Our board of trustees has approved a 2010-2011 balanced budget that doesn’t cut any classes and ensures superlative student education.
   If I have the privilege of your vote I know we will continue in this fiscally prudent manner despite the projected state budget difficulties.

What two promises are you willing to make? On what are you unwilling to compromise? Be specific and concrete.
   I pledge to continue my total dedication to maintaining our colleges as among the top in the nation.
   I pledge to maintain our fiscally conservative management of taxpayers’ dollars. We provide the best value in post-secondary education anywhere.
   I have experience as a professor and as a student. I have never missed a graduation ceremony or professor in-service.
   I will never compromise providing the best programs and the finest dedicated professors for our incredible students.



Jill E. Case

What do you think of the district’s spending priorities? What, if anything, should change?
   I noticed fewer classes being offered even though they’re listed in the catalog. I also noted from reviewing board discussions that administrative support functions are based on other districts, rather than this district's unique needs. While I will not make judgments until I have all information, I would review this district’s needs, especially in administrative support, and budget the most dollars to meet the district’s mission: bringing educational opportunities to the most students possible.

How would you prioritize spending in your budget to minimize the impact of revenue lost to the recession or state budget crisis?
   As a student at IVC, I experienced first hand the impact of reduced revenue with reduction in classes offered. Priority must be granted to students and classes and educational opportunities. In the recent past, the board did not properly oversee that priority and follow California law. If elected, I will be well versed on the laws and bring the maximum dollar to the classroom.

What two promises are you willing to make? On what are you unwilling to compromise? Be specific and concrete.
   I decided to run because my opponent was running unopposed, has served in the position for over 20 years and I believe in the Democratic process. I am providing a choice for the voters. I also believe in term limits. I will not serve more than two terms if elected. I will also use my expertise to protect taxpayer money as if it was my own and bring the maximum dollar amounts into the classrooms.


AREA 2:

Thomas "T.J." Prendergast, III

What do you think of the district’s spending priorities? What, if anything, should change?
   The SOCCCD has a reputation of being a fiscally responsible and high quality education system. As a new member of the board I would want to work with the existing trustees to continue this reputation. I would not necessarily change anything, but I would look into making sure decisions are being made for the benefit of the students and the education they deserve.

How would you prioritize spending in your budget to minimize the impact of revenue lost to the recession or state budget crisis?
   As a fiscal conservative, a parent, and concerned taxpayer, I want to make sure we are getting value for our investment. I would prioritize spending on education programs that meet the demand of students looking for; transferring into a four-year university, vocational education, life-long learning, re-entering to gain skills to compete in a changing economy.

What two promises are you willing to make? On what are you unwilling to compromise? Be specific and concrete.
   1. Make sure the taxpayer is getting the value they expect
   2. Continue to provide and protect quality education. I am not willing to compromise on either of these.



Kevin Muldoon

What do you think of the district’s spending priorities? What, if anything, should change?
   The South Orange County Community College District has a $400 million annual budget. I believe the district should be focused on maintaining a balanced budget without issuing bond debt. Due to the current economic hardships, community college enrollment is steadily increasing. The district will have to cut wasteful spending to meet the demands of the growing student population without acquiring debt.

How would you prioritize spending in your budget to minimize the impact of revenue lost to the recession or state budget crisis?
   The district’s budget is funded by local property taxes and has diminished along with declining real estate values. I would work hard to ensure the colleges operate within their budgets and adequate reserves are set aside in anticipation of a prolonged recession. Classroom needs and facilities maintenance must be the district’s top spending priorities.

What two promises are you willing to make? On what are you unwilling to compromise? Be specific and concrete.
   I promise to support fiscally conservative principles and vote against the issuing of bond debt. Too many government institutions spend beyond their means. In this economy, we cannot afford to have a district governed by candidates who are beholden to the special interest groups.

AREA 4:

Jack Frost
Nancy Padberg
No answers provided

Story of my life. I always get the fuzzy end of the lollipop. --RG

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're not going to hire any chancellor are they?

Anonymous said...

I don't think they like the candidates the committee sent up. But that doesn't mean they won't hire somebody. The rumor is that some trustees really want Gary Poertner to return. A persistent rumor.

Anonymous said...

That's an old rumor, and it doesn't make sense. Never did.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...