Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Art Pedroza pokes Don Wagner

     In this morning’s refreshingly tabloidal Orange Juice blog, serial gratuitous opiner and loose cannoneer Art Pedroza takes aim at our own Don Wagner (Don Wagner’s backers are a Who’s Who of lame Republicans).
     What’s his beef with Don?
     Art doesn’t like Don’s tea-partying banter on immigration (Don “goes nuts”) and says that Don “comes off sounding like some sort of religious fanatic.”
     The “worst,” though, he writes, is the chorus of full-throated Wagnerians, which (quoting Art) includes:
Tim Whitacre, the guy who led Bill Hunt down the Mexican-bashing trail. How did that work out Tim?
• U.S. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher – a total loon who bashes Mexicans even more than Whitacre and his boys do
Michael Schroeder. Nuff said.
Hugh Hewitt…..
Tom Fuentes. Ousted as OC GOP Chairman but still wreaking havock on the South OC Community College District Board of Trustees.
John Williams, the corrupt OC Public Administrator/Guardian. Figures.
• Costa Mesa Councilwoman Wendy Leece. An ally of Mexican-basher Allan Mansoor.
Jim Righeimer, the next lame Costa Mesa Councilman
Ken Maddox, the Capo Trustee who is facing a recall [end of quotation]
     The list is a little hinky, ‘cause at least some of these people (Fuentes, Williams) are now Wagnerians like I’m into John Denver. And that’s a plus, not a minus, for Don, right?
     I do like the stark beauty of Art’s take on John Williams: “corrupt.”
     And Michael Schroeder? I sympathize with the “Nuff said,” but, really, never is enough said about that guy. I mean, he defends chiropractors!
     Art has his virtues and vices, I suppose, but surely you’d have to put his Photoshop skills in the latter column:
What's that thing in Don's hand supposed to be?
And how come it's got a microphone on one end of it?

     Be sure to write in (to OJ blog, not to us) to defend our Don.

Suggested comments:

     “Oh yeah? FU.”
     “Don actually did vote for Mexicans before he voted against them.”
     “Guilt by association, eh? What next? Criticizing a man for his views?
     “Don is better looking than you, Art, though that ain’t sayin’ much, Pumpkin Head.”
     “Calling people lame is so lame.”
     “Havoc? Nuh-uh! The accreditors gave both SOCCCD colleges their biggest Brownie point!”

Peter Mullin's "French Curves" collection

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You be the devil!

Debbie Tharp said...

Your suggested comebacks are lame. Moslty Ad hominem attacks; very silly. Anyhow, your beloved Don, who barely won his party's nomination, hasn't yet accepted our invitation to defend his opinions at the UCI Assembly Debate on October 27th. Melissa and I will be there Don. Be there or be square. Furthermore, he was invited to a discussion of Prop 19 at United Church. He declined because he does not believe legalization should be an aspect of our current political debate...even though it's on the ballot. Stop treating him like the is the heir apparent. No such thing is true here. This election is wide open. Call Don and invite him to the campaign guys. I supported him during the primaries, even though I knew I would be running against him this fall- because I thought he would be the best Republican candidate. I sincerely hope he doesn't disappoint me.(He's not actually the best overall candidate though...I am ;)

Roy Bauer said...

Debbie, I like your spunk, but you are a bit confused. Don Wagner is not my “beloved.” I have been a vocal opponent of Don Wagner’s for over a dozen years and, indeed, I (along with several others) am presently suing him (and the other trustees) for violating the 1st Amendment (Westphal v. Wagner).

You entirely misconstrue my “suggested” comebacks, but that’s OK. I’ll just say that the subtext of my “suggestions” (which, of course, were not really suggestions) is that Mr. Pedroza more than any other local political squawker is known for, well, ad hominems and wacky controversy.

I shall state the obvious. Wagner isn’t responding to your invitation for the same reason that most politicians in his position do not respond: owing to voter registration in his area, he has judged that, unless something goes very wrong, he is bound to win the election. Having made that judgment, he further judges that he has every reason to avoid debate or discussion with you or Melissa. By accepting the invitation, he has little to gain and much to lose.

I know you know this. You’re in a tough spot. You need to mix it up with Don, but Don's like a smart fighter who knows how to win the match. It would be gracious of Don to accept your invitation. Perhaps, relative to a high-minded understanding of political discourse, he owes it to voters to accept. But this is Orange County. Ruthlessness rules.

But I do hope that he accepts. Good luck to you.

Debbie Tharp said...

Ooooohhhhh, so YOU'RE the one that's suing him! Actually, he said that he has a possible court date in October, so he may not have time to come by the debate. Well, the debate's in the evening, and I'm pretty sure court will be over be then, right? :D I will share with you my reasoning (that I posted on Art's wacky blog) why his election is definitely NOT a sure thing. Let me know what you think? Here is the quote: "Don is NOT going to win this race. The establishment is going down. EVERYONE I talk to now is AWAKE… Eyes wide open. This is no longer a Republican district. Not by a long shot. Here are the demographics, as of 2009,
42.99% Republican
30.02% Democratic&
23.02% Decline to State. Believe me, that 23% decline to state is PISSED! And, as of 2010, even more voters have moved away from the Republicrat party. Now, consider the fact that Don only won his party’s nomination by 900 some odd votes in a squeaker of a four way race, that many Republicrats are pissed that he won, and that Scott Baugh is losing support on a daily basis because of his smarmy backroom dealings and empty pandering to the radical fringe, and you have even more who’s who of lame duck Republicrats for his support.

Don has MAYBE and guaranteed 25% of the Republican vote in a three way race against a Democrat who won 75% of her party’s nomination. (Now don’t go gettin’ all teary eyed on me, Vern. I just call it like I see it.) Combine that with a Libertarian who is actually out there campaigning, instead of crunching numbers in front of a computer as my Greenie friend likes to say, and I smell a good time on the ol’ campaign trail! Fun for all. It’s a nice psychological ploy, trying to convince the prey that they are dead before the chase even starts, but you have the wrong of it when you say that the Republicrat party will continue to rule in the OC; and those angry, disillusioned Republican, Democrat and especially Decline to state voters smell blood in the water."

Any way... Are you going to be at OC Pride this weekend? I'll be at the Prop 19 table if you are. Stop by and say hi!

Roy Bauer said...

Might just do that!

Roy Bauer said...

Debbie, I'm only one of seven or eight plaintiffs on the case. If the suit has a leader, it is surely Karla Westphal, who teaches Math at Saddleback College. Wendy Phillips (now Gabriella) and I sued the district for its violations of the California Open Meetings law (the Brown Act) in the late 90s, and we prevailed. Students successfully sued the district for 1st Amendment violations starting in 1997, and they essentially prevailed. When the district went after me in 1998, I was compelled to launch a 1st Amendment lawsuit, which targeted the entire board, among others. I prevailed in that case as well. Gotta go!

Debbie Tharp said...

Well, I have to say that it is an interesting suit, and I have been following it for a while. I have to admit that I thought the joke about the kindergartner and the teacher was pretty funny, but of course, it was obviously Don's way of saying "bring it on!" and fact is, you will win, because there is no place for pushing any one religion at a public school function. We must defend the rights of all to express their religion freely and yet keep this expression completely separate from our governing affairs. I don't think that they mind that they will lose this suit, as they are going to benefit from the press, whether it is positive or negative. Actually, I could use a little press myself. Maybe I should get myself sued for...I don't know, how about I light up a 5 foot long joint in front of city hall and say I am defending my right to express my religion of Rastafarianism and this is my way of praying before proceedings? Think that will work? Probably not...but it would be a fun day!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...