Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Midnight memories (from the archives)




When we first arrived in California, Annie and I didn't speak English. But I listened to the radio and heard some great songs. Never forgot them. For me, if the early to mid sixties had a soundtrack, it was this: the Village Stompers' "Washington Square," Kenny Ball's "Midnight in Moscow," Horst Jankowski's "A Walk in the Black Forest," and Mr. Acker Bilk's "Stranger on the Shore"

My dad, somewhere in Canada, c. 1953.

My dad, going to town, c. late 40s (Germany)

My reputedly "wild" Aunt Ruth (second from right), in Germany, c. 1952

Peter the cat, Germany, 1940s.

My dad, southern Germany, c. 1949

Grandpa and Arco, c. 1950 (Boblingen, Germany)

Dad and pal

Dad, early fifties, Canada

Sister Annie, c. 1957

Annie, mom, me, c. 1958, British Columbia

Mom 'n' me, 1958

Still love this stuff




Yes, yes, I know. This is a dopey song. But I still thrill to the instrumental break, which is fairly hot, though by no means Armstrong's best.
Armstrong was touring and kept encountering audience members yelling, "Hello Dolly"! He couldn't understand it. Then somebody reminded him that he recorded this horrible song in the studio a few months earlier. Armstrong couldn't remember doing it. But the song was a huge hit anyway. That was OK by Louis.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter looks like a magnificent feline. Any history on him?

Roy Bauer said...

Gosh, I think my dad has told stories about him. I'll ask him (my dad, not Peter).

Bohrstein said...

... you didn't speak english?

Roy Bauer said...

Bohrstein, yeah, that's what they tell me.
That helps explain my tenuous grasp of language.
Whoof.

Anonymous said...

Peter is wonderful--and so is the photo. And your Dad--sexy devil, slouching on that fountain!

MAH

Anonymous said...

p.s. Love the "raindrop" (tear-drop?) backdrop!

MAH

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...