Tuesday, June 22, 2010

More from the Bauer family archive

That's me, visiting my sister in Los Gatos (Bay Area), 1973.
She had married "Davy Do," an engineer working for HP, earlier that year

Family backpacking trip, Mt. Ritter (or Banner Peak), Sierra Nevada, 1973.
As I recall, there was no trail as we crossed from Lake Catherine to Thousand Island Lake.

Mom and sister Annie, Los Gatos, 1973

Mom, me, Ray, and Ron--at the San Diego Zoo, 1973

Trabuco Canyon, 1964

Trabuco Canyon, 1964 (with our dog Prince).
In those days, overnight camping was permitted in the canyon.

Everybody's a "scout," Orange, 1964.
Ray was three. He taught the scouts how to tie square knots.


My brother Ray was 12 during the '73 Sierra trip.
He loved the mountains and would go anywhere, fearlessly.


1973, near Banner Peak

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the hair.

Anonymous said...

Yes--wonderful hair! BvT at his most hip, though I am sure that he never gave that a thought. I especially love the photo of Ray with the mountain peak and lake.

And, of course, your Mom was (could have been) a movie star!

Anonymous said...

BvT was a hippie, yay. Is that where they make Thousand Island salad dressing? It’s pretty obvious where they make Catalina salad dressing. And what’s that in your mom’s mouth, a stogie or a toothbrush?

Bohrstein said...

Roy seems like a badass in these pictures.

Roy Bauer said...

Roy was as much a badass then as he is now.

Bohrstein said...

I 'spose that is true.

BS

Anonymous said...

And that means, BS, that he wasn't a bad-ass at all; the look is deceiving. I am certain that even then, he was a kind-hearted and shy boy, though with a razor-sharp mind. (Much like you, now that I think about it.)

Same as now. (Yeah, I know--but even the shy part is still true, on some level.) Some of the photos make him seem *hard* or mean; I know that he never was. And I'm glad.

But it's very cool that he *looks* like a bad-ass in these photos!

MAH

Roy Bauer said...

Razor-sharp? Well, I'm glad you think so.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...