Tuesday, March 9, 2010

IVC's Student Satisfaction Survey

Overall satisfaction

I finally had a chance to skim through the recently completed report on the Irvine Valley College Student Satisfaction Survey, taken from April 16 to May 19, 2009.

The report briefly explains the survey’s “Methodology”:
Administered during the spring semester from April 16 to May 19, using an on‐line survey methodology, the 2009 Student Satisfaction Survey was sent to all non‐emeritus students via an e‐mail invitation. In addition, a link to the survey was placed on the college’s website. Students were provided an incentive to participate with the possibility of receiving a $150 gift certificate to the college bookstore. By the end of the field date, 1,073 IVC students participated in the survey. On average, the survey took a little over 17 minutes to complete.
I didn’t have the time to read the report carefully, but I did get the impression that students were satisfied with the college. On this post, I’ve included just a few of the report’s factoids (in graphic form).

To read the report, go to the IVC website; click on “information for faculty and staff.” Then click on the “intranet (help)” link. (You will likely be asked for your password.) Then choose the link for “research and planning.” The link for the report will appear at the bottom of the page (it is a pdf file).

As always, the written comments (in this case, by students) are most interesting. To see them--all of them!--click on the link below:

IVC Student Satisfaction Survey (open-ended question)

Be prepared. Most of the writing is appallingly bad. And many of these students have no reservations about naming names—of liked or disliked instructors (and other employees).

Campus environment


Sense of community

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They can't spell. They don't know who determines fee hikes or where that $$$ goes. They don't know how the college works at all.

(They do names names though - ouch!)

Oldster said...

Good grief! you've got to read those student comments!

Anonymous said...

This one is my absolute favorite. The essence of snowflakiness.


"All except one very narcissistic professor who doesn't seem to care about the students but only about himself (his pay, his life, his problems) he constantly talks about those things and when students need his help with class related issues he is not very helpful, he passes along the duties to others such as tutors and when you approach him with personal problems he states that he doesn't care and that it wasn't his problem."

Bohrstein said...

Roy Bower is my favorite too.

BS

B von Traven said...

Me too.

Bohrstein said...

Each of these student comments seem to be part of a larger comment, i.e. I feel like they aren't portraying the whole story.

"It would be nice if more classes were offered in the summer," should have the following appended, "because I failed all of my classes this semester."

"I have had a hard time finding clubs that last. I feel that the assessment test does not accurately evaluate; it said I was stupid. "

I can't read them all, I'm just procrastinating awhile, but I think I found a favorite:

Yes! I WAS VERY OFFENDED BY HEARING ABOUT THE VIEWING MATERIAL FOR HUMANITIES 73.THE TEAHCER SAID THAT PART OF THE STUDY WAS GONNA BE ON RAUNCHY RATED R DIRTY COMEDY FILMS, WHICH I FIND TO BE SEXUALY HARASSING ESPECIALLY IN A PUBLIC CLASS ROOM. SO I DECIDED NOT TO PETITION THAT CLASS. I HOPE THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR WILL BE RULED OUT OF ALL PUBLIC SCHOOLS. I ALSO BELEIVE THAT ITS WRONG TO CHARGE A STUDENT FOR NAPKINS, PLASTIC UTENSILS, AND CONDIMENTS JUST BECAUSE THE STUDENT DOESN'T BY LUNCH ON THAT GIVEN DAY. I TRIED TO TAKE A PLASTIC FORK AND SOME KETCHUP AND THE CASHIER WANTED TO CHARGE ME FIFTY SENSE. ANDSHE SAID THAT THE UTENSILS AND NAPKINS WERE FOR CUSTOMERS ONLY. I
FELT UPSET BECAUSE I JUST BOUGHT $10.00 WORTH OF FOOD AT THE CAFETERIA EARLIER THAT WEEK. UNTIL THEY CHANGE I WILL NEVE R GO BACK TO THE CAFETERIA AGAIN. I WOULD APPRECIATE A RESPONSE FROM THIS. THANK YOU.


Really? Fifty sense? That's like super sixth sense, right?

"I see stupid people." BS

Anonymous said...

Ah! This is awesome! Thank you for dispelling severalsome
confusion I have heard about this recently.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...