Thursday, January 14, 2010

Living through the Stupid People Revolt

As last semester came to a close, I thought things had gone pretty well, but Frank across the hall and two or three other friends in cheesy old (and increasingly abandoned) A200 carped loudly and persistently that this latest crew of studentry is marked by a disturbing degree of cluelessness and assholery.

“Good God!” they’d shout from somewhere in the building. “Good God!”

Guess so, I said, but (I thought) I don’t see how that could be, unless it’s just one of those random clusters, like leukemia under high tension wires or logs and seaweed spelling “FU” in the sand. Could happen, but so what.

Well, for me, the hidden horror lurking among my smiling students finally revealed itself once I submitted grades, at about Christmas Eve. Since then, it’s been nothing but whining and wheedling and mewling and, in at least one case, snickering, bleating loutery from hell.

Today, after a few rounds with one breathtakingly obtuse and persistent bellyaching Fall '09 jackass, I stood at the door of my office, leaned into the hallway, and declared, “Good Lord! What can it all mean!”

“It’s like I said,” muttered Frank from within his office. “Just like I said.”

* * * * *

Well, the new semester begins, and, as was the case five months ago, the kids this time seem nice enough, and I’m goin’ with it. Only once this week did I detect a brief flare-up of High Schoolitudinal Groupstink. (I’m gonna bring a squirt gun to that class.)

Suddenly, I’m feeling old and students seem ridiculously young. It doesn’t help that they are perfect, and I am (mostly temporarily) decrepit. My back is killing me and I keep having to don and then doff* these stupid reading glasses.

“You know, we’re living through history,” I declare to the class, absurdly. “Thirty years from now, your nephew or niece will walk up to you and say, ‘Gosh you’re old. What was it like living through that Stupid People Revolt? Do you remember it? Um, were you one of ‘em?’”

They smile.

I think I like 'em.

* * * * *

Another delightful nugget from Newspaper headlines tell the story

The Old Guard’s Tony Garcia “clears his throat.” The Saddleback College Lariat, April 2, 1998

An article in the 4/2 Lariat reports that, according to Saddleback student Antonio Aguilar (the student who, months ago, challenged an explicit Holocaust denier during a board meeting), he was ‘spit at’ by English instructor Tony Garcia on March 30.

Evidently, Garcia responded to the charge by saying that “I cleared my throat as [Aguilar] went by.”

The article ends with a masterpiece of understatement:

Richard McCullough, Saddleback College Interim President, said he would not condone this type of behavior from faculty if it did, indeed, occur.

“That’s not what they should be doing,” he said.

Comments:

Anonymous‬ said...
A little practice with those glasses and you'll be doffing and donning as punctuation marks for your comments.

You're not old.
7:07 AM, January 15, 2010

‪Anonymous‬ said...
Sadly, after years of observations such as these I went to a psychiatrist. It was a " Is it me, or is it them moment". He asked me something like "if a thousand fish washed up on the shore and you could save but one or two, would it be your fault?" I said, " you're a freekin idiot, too!"
7:56 AM

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little practice with those glasses and you'll be doffing and donning as punctuation marks for your comments.

You're not old.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, after years of observations such as these I went to a psychiatrist. It was a " Is it me, or is it them moment". He asked me something like "if a thousand fish washed up on the shore and you could save but one or two, would it be your fault?" I said, " you're a freekin idiot, too!"

Anonymous said...

What a heartening perspective, 7:07; and I thank you for it (this from another reader whose age is even higher than BvT's). Donning and doffing as punctuation--that's the thing! I must remember that, for I haven't gotten used to the damned gadgets even after several years. Sometimes, if I'm not careful, using them still gives me motion sickness. How pathetic is that?!

Also Not Old

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...