Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Eschewery

Our good friend Marla Jo Fisher (of the College Life blog) reports that the kids at Chapman University are pledging eschewery of use of the word “retard.” Good idea. See Chapman students want to stamp out disgraced word.

Besides, Bush isn’t the President anymore.

No, but seriously, I join in this pledge and I hope you do too. (I never use the noun "retard" to refer to the mentally challenged among us--that's plainly offensive--but I do occasionally use the word "retarded" to mean, well, what it means. But, it seems, among lots of young people, the adjective "retarded" is somehow associated with the unfortunate noun. And so, like I said, I'm on board. I will use the adjective, too, with great care. That's not quite eschewery, I guess. Partial and conscientious eschewery maybe.)

SEE ALSO:
You’re admitted to our campus. Oops, no, you’re not. (UCSD snafu)
Newport Bay records O.C.’s 3rd quake of the day

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Of course, there will be some retards out there who will get all bent out of shape over this one.

I am guilty of doing what I oppose, yet it's so easy with some of our conservative friends who are sure to angrily reply to today's entry.

And after what I just said, I vow to never use that ugly word again.

Anonymous said...

If I'm tuning up my old VW, can I still retard the timeing?

Anonymous said...

Is it OK to say that what happened at UCSD was retarded? Because truly, it was.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...