Saturday, January 31, 2009

We're "not in this to make money"

TigerAnn hunting, this morning.

1981 primitive Internet report on KRON


This morning’s New York Times offers a glimpse into the weird past (A Newspaper? On a PC? That’s Crazy Talk), when reading the morning paper on one's computer sounded like, well, weird and unlikely shit of the future.

Ha ha ha.

The scene: 1981, San Francisco. A local news broadcast.

As the Times explains, the “best part comes about one minute into the clip, when one of the Examiner’s editors explains that the paper is ‘not in this to make money.’”

In 2003, the venerable San Francisco Examiner, which had once published the works of Ambrose Bierce, Mark Twain, and Jack London, became a free tabloid.

40 employees were let go the next day.

Tee-hee-hee.

TigerAnn doesn't seem to think about the future or the past. Near as I can tell, she lives entirely in the moment.

I saw her chase a momentary moth.

She failed to catch it, but she was pleased with herself still.

She took a dust bath; she sunned herself.

Be thou like the Tige.

Mostly joyful iconoclastery:

FOCUS' "HOCUS POCUS" live, 1973

My little bro Ray and I would listen to this and
laugh like hell.
But we loved it.

Ray loved Frank Zappa and the Mothers:

Flower Punk (to the music of "Hey Joe")
Hey punk, where you goin’ with that
Flower in your hand? (repeat)
Well, I’m goin’ up to frisco to join a
Psychedelic band.

Hey punk, where you goin’ with that
Button on your shirt? (repeat)
I’m goin’ to the love-in to sit & play
My bongos in the dirt.

Hey punk, where you goin’ with that
Hair on your head? (repeat)
I’m goin’ to the dance to get some action,
Then I’m goin’ home to bed.

Hey punk, where you goin’ with those
Beads around your neck? (repeat)
I’m goin’ to the shrink so he can help me
Be a nervous wreck...
(...with a little "Wild Thing" thrown in at the end)

Yeah, but Jimi still rules:
Ray would have agreed: Jimi rules.

6 comments:

Bohrstein said...

I got a book, for Christmas, by Bertrand Russell called the "Conquest of Happiness." Just because it was written by Russell, I quickly read it. I think it tended to suggest that we should all be more "Tige" like.

Anonymous said...

I see that TigerAnn has a bell on her collar. She's not likely to catch much among prey with ears. Not sure about moths.

You don't WANT newspapers to go into the toilet, do you?

Roy Bauer said...

Yes, Bohrstein, Russell tended to give such advice. He was very much like a cat, I think.

No, I do not enjoy seeing newspapers go down the toilet. On the contrary.

Some day, we will witness the death of blogs. Tee hee.

13 Stoploss said...

At first, I didn't understand what was so funny. It sounded familiar, and I could hum it, but I had never SEEN it. I thought it might have been just another Jeff Beck/Edgar Winter/Dixie Dregs/Steve Vai/Eric Johnson/Joe Satriani kinda tune, until the dude's face lit up in yodel. Classic.

Mrs. 13 and I had a good laugh, and for some reason, with the Hendrix, she decided she wanted strawberries. Yep.

Roy Bauer said...

Strawberries, eh? I'm glad you guys enjoyed this stuff.

Anonymous said...

all I want for Christmas is Jimi's stratocaster guitar. yea!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...