Tuesday, December 30, 2008

An Aerial Tour of the SOCCCD


My sister, Annie, said, "You ever go on Google Earth?" I hadn't.

So yesterday I downloaded it and then fired it up. It's very cool, if you ask me (leaving aside some admittedly profound privacy issues). After a couple of minutes, I was swooping up and down the mountains. You know how I am about our local mountains.

So, today, I made a little "aerial tour" of our district. It starts off with a little Santa Ana Mountains action, but then it shoots down to San Clemente (which is served by the SOCCCD), then up the coast to Laguna Beach. Next, we zoom up Laguna Canyon and then over the San Joaquin Hills to Irvine Valley College in Irvine.

Next, it's down Saddleback Valley to Saddleback College in Mission Viejo. Then we shoot on over to Tustin for a glimpse of ATEP. Then it's off to the coast again, from Newport Beach down to Dana Point and then over the channel to Santa Catalina Island.

I know, I know. Catalina has nothing to do with our district. But I just love those islands, boy.

Lemme know how you like this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It makes me dizzy.

Anonymous said...

Great, but where did you get the helicopter?

Bohrstein said...

Ever heard of Microsoft Photosynth?

I guess you can use it in conjunction with Virtual Earth (It is Microsofts response to Google Earth). In a nutshell it takes pictures from the web and uses them to sort of 'reconstruct' the environment from alll the pictures taken.

YouTube it for a better idea, otherwise here is a kind of cool video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmoKB1mbNM0&feature=related

Video is nice, music is good; need some more description though, as I wasn't always sure what I was looking at.

Roy Bauer said...

Bohrstein, thanks, as always.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...