Friday, May 23, 2008

Peter's retirement party


.....Ageless Peter Morrison is undoubtedly the single most important person in the development of Irvine Valley College. Peter was there from the beginning, thirty years ago, and, with striking intelligence, boundless energy, and unfailing kindness, he, more than anyone else, guided and inspired the development of this very special place (still!) that is IVC.
.....Peter’s role in the evolution of the district—e.g., concerning the faculty contract and collegial consultation—is also impressive. Ask old-timers. (Somehow, Peter himself seems not to have aged.)
.....A great many people, comprising several generations and representing every corner and level of our district and beyond, came together on this night to express their love and appreciation. It was surely one of the great occasions in the history of IVC and the SOCCCD. (The party was hosted by Julie, Keith, and Amy.)

Dan can be devilish.

The party was a reunion of sorts. (Linda and Rebecca.)

Julie provided great food, including a seriously fancy log of cheese—I've already forgotten the name, but I recognized it as one of Wallace and Gromit's favorites. Linda gave me the stink eye when I accidentally knocked it over. She appreciates good cheese.

Frank, who was a kind of master of ceremonies, told some great "Peter" stories.

Former IVC VPI (and founding faculty) Terry Burgess told some very funny stories, including one about Peter's first "Van Morrison," a VW bus.

Wendy has always looked up to Peter.

At one point, Dale Larsen—who was acting President of IVC when I arrived in 1932 (er, 1986)—took umbrage at something Cal said, whereupon he barked, "I choose you off." Gary then muttered, "I've got your back." Luckily, someone stomped on a Whoopee cushion and the tension quickly dissipated.

You know how sentimental Wendy can get. At one point, she read the IVC Academic Senate's resolution in honor of Peter, a task which, owing to the document's wealth of WHEREASes, took about a half hour.

Two of Peter's many close friends. Peter's got about a thousand of 'em. (Well, these two are special.)




Peter won some valuable cash prizes. Did you know that he once worked as a lumberjack in the Yukon? Well, no, I just made that up. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Peter told some stories, including how he got the job at IVC, which is amazing. We especially liked his tale of the stolen Selectric typwriter. At the end of it (set circa '79), Peter calls the Saddleback police, asking, "So, did you find out who took the typewriter from my van?"

"Yeah," said the cops. "We did." (Well, it was plainly one of the college's Selectrics, and there it was, sitting on the ratty, duct-taped seat of Der Deathtrap, aka Van Morrison #1, a VW bus whose doors were secured with coat hangers and whose owner looked like some kinda Hippie.)

Jeff and Pam renewed their friendship.

Limber Lou provided the six-year-old perspective. He ran wild; Keith tried to capture him. No luck.

Kay presented Peter with a marvelous "memory book." Among its highlights: pictures of a hirsute and shoeless Peter in 1982, from an early IVC journal.

—Plus lots of memories written by numerous scribbler friends.


Jesus made a cameo appearance.



That's former trustee Harriett Walther hiding behind a post. She looked great.

Jeanne explained how Peter expanded her vocabulary, especially with regard to adjectives for administrators. The word "egregious" proved to be very useful.

That's Jeff, sneakin' up on my Heineken.

End of the evening: writing off-color remarks in Peter's memory book, which sports comment pages in the back. Somebody decided to antique the edges of these pages with a fine red wine.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful evening.

Anonymous said...

It was a lovely evening. What a great reunion, too. Readers demand more pics.

Anonymous said...

The best, very best ever. More pics and commentary is necessary. C'mon Chunk, this was IVC at its best and what we are known for. Goodness, Peter sure looked great. Congratulations Peter and Elaine. Congratulations Julie, Keith, and Katie for all your work.

IVC is back!

Anonymous said...

Actually, it was my wonderful, pregnant, and very competent daughter, Amy, who is my right hand for parties. My other wonderful daughter, Katie, lives in Sonoma.

People make a party and that certainly held true on Thursday. My thanks to everyone who honored Peter in so many ways.

Julie

Anonymous said...

What a loss to IVC. To think Peter will no longer be inspiring young minds. He was an instructor of mine some 17 years ago. He gave me a great compliment once, in the form of a comment on an essay exam in a Medieval Lit course: "I found your exam strange and strangely disappointing." I wasn't much of a writer then. I also got an A on the exam. Strange and strangely encouraging. Thank you, Peter.

Anonymous said...

Peter gave me my very first teaching job, back in--oh--about 1987 or so. (Memory isn't so good any more.) I was thrilled. He was, indeed, kind and wise. I don't mean because he hired me; I distinctly remember that he wanted to give both me and someone else a chance, so that he hired us both instead of hiring just one to do two sections. (Good thing; I spent all week long preparing for that one three-hour class!)

And you do look great, Peter! How is it that you don't age?

Thanks a million, and warmest wishes, always.

Kathie

Anonymous said...

Kathie:

Couldn't have been '87. More likely '83 or so. Was Peter wearing shoes? If so, it was '84 or later, but definitely before '86. I know what I'm talkin' about, baby.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful.

Thanks Chunk and Julie.

and thank you Peter for all you gave and continue to give.

Anonymous said...

Where is he going? What's he going to do?

Anonymous said...

What a nice party! It brings back fond memories. I am sorry I couldn't attend. I miss the IVC people, so Chunk I'm very thankful to you for posting the beautiful pictures.

Anonymous said...

A fine, fine time!

For he's a jolly good fellow!

Anonymous said...

I met Peter a couple of times. I don't think he would remember me, but I remember him. It was obvious he was a great and wise person.

You are right. He does not age. In fact, I think he looks younger than when I met him, which must have been some, oh, seven or so years ago.

Best wishes to a fine person.

Anonymous said...

Peter changed my life when I took my first poetry class from him in 1991. He was passionate, brilliant and unforgettable. He inspired many students, young and old. The women loved him, the men feared him (well, some.) In any event, he is unforgettable!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is Peter! I fell in love with him in 1978 when he was teaching in San Antonio. He left for California soon thereafter and I haven't seen him since. But I wondered.

Anonymous said...

I met Peter in San Antonio back in the 70s, when he was teaching at UT. Good times with good friends in Grey Forest, and he was a big part of that scene. I still remember his "gentle" critique of my pretentious use of words in a paper for a humanities class...and I was half in love with him for that alone. Good to know he is still out there somewhere!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...