Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"Lurid" and "redolent" yellow barrier mysteriously appears on community college campus (w/ update)

....."I could smell it as I approached," said one student. "Smells almost like paint."
....."Yeah," plus it's kind of suggestive," offered another student.
.....Neither student wished to be identified. Both attend the college (Irvine Valley, in Irvine).
....."We're taking final exams," said one.



UPDATE:

.....I was just funnin'. Rebel Girl made me take the pics late yesterday. I never ask her why she tells me to do things. I just do 'em. It usually works out fine.
.....This morning, I figured, since it was a slow news day, well....
.....Hence the absurd post. I like absurd.

* * * * *

.....At school (IVC) today, I was told by several people that there had been an accident on campus this morning. Evidently, a maintenance worker ran into a pole with his golf cart, breaking the vehicle's axle. Paramedics were called to the scene, though I believe that the worker is OK. Not sure.
.....This afternoon, I asked around a bit. I figured the accident couldn't have involved my "absurd" barrier: I would have noticed evidence, residue. So I wandered over behind the Student Services Center, where I espied three new bright yellow posts across a concrete path. (See.) Two acquaintances who work in SSC happened to be nearby; they confirmed that I had found the scene of the accident.
.....Apparently, it had been decided by somebody to add these yellow post-barriers at certain points on campus, perhaps for reasons of "safety." My acquaintances speculated that the maintenance worker was accustomed to traveling along the path, unobstructed by safety barriers.
.....Hence, the accident.


.....I dunno about you, but if I were to paint a post, I'd paint it before I stuck it in a hole. But what do I know. I'm just a philosopher.

.....Since I had my camera, I decided to take a few pics. It's a beautiful campus, isn't it? Watch for the speeding golf carts, though. And the yellow safety posts.






17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you rather have people drive unsafely on campus?

Damn if you do, and damn if you don't!

What's wrong with you Chunck?

Anonymous said...

The name's "Chunk," not "Chunck."

You need to work on your sense of humor. The post neither states nor implies that there is something objectionable about putting up barriers.

The post is a kind of spoof. It spoofs, not barriers, but people's reactions to things. It spoofs students, too.

--OK, it also pokes fun, just a little bit, at the crudity with which these tasks are often performed at IVC. I mean, you could have painted those pipes before you stuck 'em in the holes, right? Ever think of that?

And what's with the traffic cone in the middle? That touch borders on the bizarre.


Dude, give me one reason and I'll poke fun of you guys every goddam day! I mean, don't get me started!

Have a nice day. -CW

Bohrstein said...

"...It's kind of suggestive"

Haha

Personally I don't think I've ever seen anyone driving unsafely on campus before so I would say they are unnecessary myself - better safe then sorry? I guess...

P.s.
Quote:
"Yeah," plus it's kind of suggestive,"

Ya made a grammatical mistake CW.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for catching the error. Dang! I'll fix it when I can.

Ironically (or no?), earlier today, a maintenance guy crashed his golf cart right into a pole. The paramedics came and everything.

That's right. A pole.

Broke the axil in two, I'm told. Note sure about the worker.

It's a good thing they had a pole there. For safety's sake.

Anonymous said...

It's damned--not damn--if you and damned if you don't.

Lighten up just a tad, 350, and people will overlook your problems with grammar.

Anonymous said...

Chunk, have you heard about Don Wagner's insulting and embarrassing display at Saddleback's scholarship banquet? It's supposed to be on You Tube, though I can't find it.

Anonymous said...

At ATEP those poles would have been painted stealth colors in keeping with Raghu's plan for HOMELAND SECURITY. Now that would put a dent in the cart community up there.

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful campus.

Those new barrier poles will eventually just blend right in.

It was sort of funny how they just popped up during finals week, though.

Anonymous said...

The barriers are to keep people from driving their cars on the campus. I have seen people do this almost everyday. People either lost, oblivious, or just want to take a shortcut, drive right through the campus. They are removable for emergency or maintenance vehicle access. I do agree that they should have been painted first and should still have a barberpole type of marking on them.

Anonymous said...

I liek the new poles - they add a festive, welcoming note.

Anonymous said...

Festive? They're phallic - the district's attempt to join in Dionysian revelry! It's an ancient fertility symbol that we can all enjoy!

Anonymous said...

The poles are part of Ted Kennedy's homeland security system for community colleges.
We have always had a problem with golf cart driving terrorists blowing up strategic targets in the O.C.
yep, strong enough to keep out a ezgo cart. Don't you just love living behind the orange curtain.

Anonymous said...

cheerleaders still having tryouts?
enquiring minds want to know!

Anonymous said...

We have CHEERLEADERS????

Anonymous said...

mmmm cheerleaders.

Anonymous said...

funny you talk about driving vehicles on campus. some nutjob drove their sedan on the sidewalk and parked in the back on the grass by the medias office. incredible. perhaps we should have these big yellow sticks around campus.

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad the major news story at IVC is the appearance of some brightly colored yellow poles and a poor maintence worker who failed to see the brightly colored yellow pole.

We are making progress.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...