Saturday, March 29, 2008

Two finger stories



.....(CLICK ON ARROW.) Chunk at home, with Sunny Girl. He tells two "finger" stories, with the help of Sunny, including his celebrated 44 Magnum tale, which concerns the late "Mountain Ray" and a certain exploding Smith & Wesson handgun.
.....Mostly for fans of the SUNNY GIRL.


.....Mountain Ray was a U.S. Marine, loved the Santa Ana Mountains, loved his dogs.
.....He and Kathie and I—plus Ray's "dark green" Marine buddy—once saw a whoppin' big UFO together, in the sky above Live Oak Canyon. Good times!
.....Raymond had a green thumb, they say. Knew the Latin terms for every variety.
.....He and his crop are now gone.
.....I think of him often.





(Some of you were asking how I get that "painted" look. In the case of the two Sunny photos above, mostly I relied on the "ink outlines" filter in Photoshop, though I also boosted saturation and then contrast. In the case of yesterday's Sunny photos, I used the "accented edges" filter instead, but I also boosted saturation and contrast. I sometimes add some "sharpening," which can produce weird effects. No doubt real photographers are horrified. Do I care? I do not.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cat sounds pretty pissed off, pretty mean, but I guess some cats just make lots of threatening sounds and don't actually do anything. Maybe keep her a little further away from your face, though, just in case.

Great story about the gun. Sorry about your brother. Terrible loss for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

there's a wondrously humorous song on Pink Floyd's Live at Pompei DVD, called Mademoiselle Nobs. It's been awhile since I have seen it, but I think David Gilmour has this dog on stage, and is holding him, and squeezing him, petting him, croaking him into wailing onstage with the rest of the band playing.

I wonder whether Sunny Girl may allow you to coax her into singing for you...

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Good for a rainy day Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chunk! Beautiful eyes on Sunny. Looks like she's about to pounce. Sorry to read about your brother though.

Anonymous said...

Must have been some real hot loads your brother made for that Smith to fail like it did. You're lucky you didn't suffer a serious injury, Chunk. Thanks for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chunk!

I don't know, but for some reason, any fire arm, whether it be firable, or disassembled, & non usable anyway sill scares the crap out of me. I realize that it was your brother's & it does have sentimental value, & you are a pacifist, I still wouldn't have one in my house.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...