Monday, March 17, 2008

Today, along Santiago Canyon Road

Had to go into town for some supplies. Just got back.

Along the way, I took some shots along Santiago Canyon Road, mostly across from the entrance to Modjeska Grade. All of the trees had been burned, but, as you can see, they're sprouting all sorts of greenery.

Somehow, it seems especially quiet today. Not like yesterday, which was a bit blustery and ended with some wonderful lightning flashes and slow, rolling thunder.

I used a polarizing filter. Way cool, I say.


This is the creek as it comes out of Modjeska Canyon. Whoever lives there puts up loony warning signs in Spanish about electification. Who they kiddin'?

Or maybe the folks there go by the name "Electrocutar." Could be.

"Home of Wayne and Estelle Electrocutar. Welcome!"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Purty.

Bohrstein said...

Gorgeous - have you seen HDR (High Dynamic Range) pictures?

If you have, what do you think?

Roy Bauer said...

Don't even know what that is! Should I?

Bohrstein said...

You most definitely should - if you like photography, and groovy colors.

I'd post pictures here, but unfortunately I can't - so you'll just have to trust me that the wiki link below is worth your time.

The jist of it is that you take a picture of some "thing" with a few different exposures and combine them using some software. The idea here is that the dark parts of the photos (i.e. shadows, etc...) look dark, and the lighter parts look lighter. The results are breathtaking.

Check out the images on the wiki as well - things like city scapes, chapels, etc... look fantastic. I hope this interests you enough to take your camera out to Santiago and take some shots.

The Wiki Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Anonymous said...

www.stuckincustoms.com

Anonymous said...

How about UniBauer?

Roy Bauer said...

It's spelled "Unabauer." I adopted that email moniker to mock trustee Williams when he suggested publicly that my writing remind him of the unabomber. Since he only reads comic books, it's hard to say what that means.

Long ago, I sought to unload it, but my attorney said, "Hey, we fought this hard to protect your rights, so you'd better keep it."

So I did. It's a bit of an albatross. On the other hand, nobody seems to notice it unless I bring it up.

Anonymous said...

I think it's cute!

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with comic books?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos, Chunk.

Roy Bauer said...

Hey, I didn't say there's anything wrong with comic books. I said the fellow reads only comic books. And not the cool kind neither.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...