Friday, December 21, 2007

Rebel Girl's Poetry Corner: The Floating World

A poem by the late poet, Siv Cedaring.

For the solstice.

For the year.

Some of us made it; some did not.

Still, here we are.


UKIYO-E

What explanation is given for the phosphorus light
That you, as boy, went out to catch
When summer dusk turned to night?
You caught the fireflies, put them in a jar,
Careful to let in some air,
Then you fed them dandelions, unsure
Of what such small and fleeting things
Need, and when
Their light grew dim, you
Let them go.

There is no explanation for the fire
That burns in our bodies
Or the desire that grows, again and again,
So that we must move toward each other
In the dark.
We have no wings.
We are ordinary people, doing ordinary things.
The story can be told on rice paper.
There is a lantern, a mountain, whatever
We can remember.

Hiroshige's landscape is so soft.
What child, woman, would not want to go out
Into that dark, and be caught,
And caught again, by you?
I want these pictures of the floating world
To go on, but when
The light begins to dim, catch me.
Give me whatever a child imagines
To keep me aglow, then
Let me go.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent poem; you choose with great aplomb.

Anonymous said...

C'est beau!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you RB.

Anonymous said...

Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best-seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.
- Flannery O'Connor

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about stifling the poet Siv Cedaring, anon @ 9:41 - as Reb pointed out, SHE IS DEAD.

I don't think Cedaring came out of the university nor taught in one for a great a length of time but no doubt YOU are HAPPY that she is stifled.

Now, O'Connor, who you invoke, she graduated from the University of Iowa and never taught because she too was stifled - dying of lupus at an early age.

Maybe you should share some of your work with the audience, anon?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I think it's a guy, what do you all think? Male, of a certain age and, well, let's just say, UNFULFILLED.

Anonymous said...

Unfulfilled in what way?

Anonymous said...

"Work" ??? Not me, I'm a dumbass. I just thought the quote was cool.

Anonymous said...

Riiiight. Context is everything. Go piss on someone else's grave.

Anonymous said...

Gee. Why so mean? Ever consider letting Christ come in to your heart?

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...