Tuesday, July 17, 2007

In the Sierra Nevada, 1972

I'VE BEEN scanning hundreds of old family photos. Here are a few from 1972.














1. Part of a topographic map used during one of our many two-week backpacking extravaganzas in the California Sierra Nevada. You can see Banner and Ritter Peaks at the bottom/left. One of ‘em’s over 13,000 ft.


2. That’s me below the falls.


3. The next three are what they are. Don’t know where.


4. Mom. People call her "Sierra."


5. More granite for you.


6. I see that my next door neighbor, Randy, was along for this trip. That’s my bro Ron looking like a Prairie Dog at the right. That’s my sister with the hair. Always did have hair.


9. We’re above Lake Edison.


12. My bro Ray.


13. My littlest bro Ron, standing at the precipice.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a hottie, Chunk. But whose that blond boy. He's not one of your people is he? Is that Duck Pass in one of those photos? Beautiful.

Roy Bauer said...

MOPI:

The blond boy is my brother Ray, who truly loved it up there. Many years later, he hang-glided over Mt. Whitney, which tells you a lot about Ray.

I'm not good with place names, though I'm about to get better, as i go over these old slides with my folks. But I'm pretty sure I've never been over a pass named after a duck.

Anonymous said...

Or made a pass at a duck. Maybe a chick, but never a duck, eh?

Anonymous said...

I backpacked in that same area in about the same time. Seeing the orange backpacks brought back a flood of good memories.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

9:49, I think you mean who's, not whose.

Anonymous said...

Quite right, 11:32, who's. Must've been befuddled by the beautiful photos.

Anonymous said...

Apparently, Grammar Girl can't spell.

Anonymous said...

NOW you're talking! Banner, Ritter, Thousand Island Lake..........
Brings back memories. I love that area. I was spending the night at the lake after backpacking up there circa 1970 when it started to rain, and I had no shelter. I skipped over to a neighbor and asked to borrow a tarp, as the neighbor had mule packed everything but the kitchen sink up there. Frowning, he grudgingly gave up one tenth of 1% of his vast trove of pack camp to the needy beggar (me!). Ever since, I have had the urge to pack a huge and unnecessary glut of garish gilded garbage up into the Sierras just to see if it enhances the primitive wilderness experience.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...