Saturday, July 28, 2007

Chunk's road trip, part 2


1. LET'S FACE IT, nothing's cooler than a town in the middle of f*ckin' nowhere. So, when I came upon tiny and dilapidated Johannesburg (CA), an old mining town along the 395, I decided to have a look around.

The town was the terminus of a mining railroad starting in the 1890s, but the tracks were torn out in the 30s. It was a "civilized" town for several decades. Today, fewer than 200 people live in "Jo-burg."

2. On the west (?) end of town, I came across an old cemetery. Bingo! I parked and commenced reading the grave markers.

3. This little girl lived for about two weeks in 1859.

4. An old iron marker.

5. 12-year-old Ada died in 1898.

6. 34-year-old Charlie Brown also died in 1898.

7. Born in Kentucky, in 1854.

8. Evidently, Frank was the "Godfather of American Rockhounds."

9. Bill had a sense of humor, I guess.

10. This guy was born when I was, but died at age 35. Evidently, he loved his bike. Note the beer can.

11. It was hot. I had to go. I looked at the sky. It was cool and beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bad ass. I've never traveled long distance alone before.

I always suggest stopping by those shitty little spots to get thoughtful and all, but no one else is ever up for it. Oh well. Thank you for sharing the pictures from such a trip - by the way, someday I suggest you link to some higher resolution pictures. I've seen your camera and it's capable of more then you're posting online - I'd much rather see these up close and "raw."*

Well, maybe not RAW, but at least some higher resolution JPGs!

* I am assuming you know what the RAW format is if you're using a nice digital camera - otherwise, learn it.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...