Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Distant storm clouds


Nothin' much happened today at IVC--not at least where I was standing.

Last week, I heard something about some scheme afoot according to which students can take 90 units of courses at our colleges (or was it just at SC?) and then they can transfer over to Indiana U--yes, Indiana U--to take just 30 more and then pick up a Bachelor's.

That sounds pretty wacky. Isn't Indiana one of those states with nothing in it, aside from Chevys and a noisy racetrack? Yeah, that's it. I guess they're real desperate for customers over in those dopey empty states.


Plus shouldn't they run this daffy Hoosier thing past the Academic Senates for their approval? Don't faculty get to have a say when it comes to academic stuff?

The weather sure was nice and I took some pics. Sunlight is the photographer's friend. And distant storm clouds are the photographer's Santa Claus.
.

There was some kinda hoopla out in front of the Student Services Center. (See pics.) I saw smoke, and it turned out to be the usual scorching of animal flesh in the blazing sun. There was music, but I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

I wandered into Helen L, who pointed back at the hoopla and invited me to grab a burger--I guess they were givin' 'em away out there. I said thanks, but then I explained that I was a vegetarian, and she said that maybe they should make sure to have some veggie burgers next time. Somethin' like that.


That was nice.

I kept looking at those distant clouds. And the blue sky.

Have you checked out Tracy's new SOCCCD Update? It's pretty snazzy.

It includes a fine photo of some charity event at ATEP. Here's the pic, showing Chancellor Mathur, Park Ranger Kopecky, Trustee Padberg, a cute little girl, and "Bandit the Biker Dog."


There's some kind of ATEP/Bandit connection--go check out ATEP's website (Here.) I couldn't make out the dog, so I blew up the picture a few thousand times:


OK, that doesn't look like a Biker dog. I could be wrong, but it looks more like a Biker cat.

Will the scandals never cease?

8 comments:

Abeyance said...

Great pics! Well, the first 3 anyway.

Anonymous said...

Dopey empty states as compared to Kalifornia with its abundance of fruits and nuts.

Professor Zero said...

This bears more investigation. It may be that IU has too many students wanting to be there, and is trying to reward people for staying away as long as possible...?

Rebel Girl said...

Dear 2:26

OK, I admit it. That was a cheap shot against Indiana.

On the other hand, what have you got against fruits and nuts? Fruits are just the best, in my experience. And most of the people I know are way sane. This is Orange County, dude.

You have no idea what I'm talkin' about, do you?

Long live the great state of Indiana!

Anonymous said...

Indiana?

I don't think many of our students even know where it is...

Anonymous said...

chunky ole' boy, the only person who knows what you're talkin' about is your therapist.

Rebel Girl said...

You'll be happy to learn that Park Ranger Kopecky has sent me an autographed photo of Bandit the Biker Dog.

I dunno. The signature on the photo looks like it was written by a cat.

Anonymous said...

Went to the ATEP website. It's a lot like the Indiana U offer: a lot of hot air. First--ATEP has conducted 30 interviews--but no takers? What gives? Apparently the two colleges do! Second--check out the IU boondoggle. I hear the degree is one only offered by IU's continuing ed division--not the famous IU itself. More hot air! And who gives this time? Students aren't eligible for financial aid at IU--so I guess they do.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...