Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Louis Collins



've been sniffin' around, but all I've got are rumors and stuff I can't repeat, not yet.

Last Thursday, I heard a story about the Chancellor, something from years ago. Maybe I'll write it up when I get confirmation. The story ends with then-President Mathur saying, "You didn't see this."

I figured I'd take advantage of the lull by offering one of my favorite songs. I first heard it when I was a teenager, and it has stayed with me. I'll be going along, and there it'd be, playing in my head.

It was recorded in 1928 by Mississippi John Hurt. Hurt is usually called a bluesman, but his repertoire included few blues. In the early 20th Century, in and around Mississippi, musicians with Hurt's varied repertoire were called "songsters."

Hurt is famous for his gentleness and his lovely guitar picking. Both are in evidence in this recording of Hurt's own "Louis Collins." He always told people it was based on a real event.

Louis Collins by Mississippi John Hurt

this is an audio post - click to play
Mrs. Collins weep, Mrs. Collins moan
To see her son Louis leave his home
Angels laid him away

Angels laid him away
They laid him six feet under the clay
Angels laid him away

Kind friends, oh, ain't it hard?
To see poor Louis in a new graveyard
Angels laid him away

Bob shot once and Louis shot too
They shot poor Collins, shot him through and through
Angels laid him away

Angels laid him away
They laid him six feet under the clay
Angels laid him away

Mrs. Collins weep, Mrs. Collins moan
To see her son Louis leave his home
Angels laid him away

Angels laid him away
They laid him six feet under the clay
Angels laid him away

When they heard that Louis was dead
All the people they dressed in red
Angels laid him away

Angels laid him away
They laid him six feet under the clay
Angels laid him away


From atop Modjeska grade, looking west.

From Live Oak Canyon, looking east.

1 comment:

Rebel Girl said...

Lucinda Williams does a great cover of this song...

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...