Tuesday, June 30, 1998

Student complaints? (Raghu has God on his side)



From the 'Vine, 6/30/98

UNTITLED; [by Chunk Wheeler, aka Roy Bauer]

     Last week, I had a conversation with the VP of Instruction, Glenn “Roquee” Roquemore. I had dropped in to speak to him about persistent rumors to the effect that Raghu and the Goo Squad were pursuing student complaints about me. The rumors were perplexing since, first, I could think of nothing that might occasion a significant student complaint and, second, the student complaint/grievance process is such that complaints or grievances must always start with a conference between the student and the instructor and then, if necessary, a conference between the student and the instructor’s dean. A month had passed since the close of the spring semester, and neither I nor my dean had heard or read anything about a complaint.
     Well, Glenn and I talked about that. We talked about other things, too.
     It had been a while since Glenn and I had spoken, and so I took the opportunity to raise some issues that had developed in the meantime. For instance, I asked him why he had dropped the ball one year ago, when, during a meeting with Pam Deegan, I urged him to spend a day with me in order to help overcome the unhealthy atmosphere of distrust and mutual hostility that had developed between faculty of his area of the campus and mine. At the time, he and I had just begun our ill-fated tenures as chairs of our respective schools.
     During the meeting, Glenn seemed to acknowledge the felicitousness of my suggestion, but he never again contacted me about it. (I believe that, after a few weeks, I voice-mailed him to follow-up, but he didn’t return my message. Serious ball-droppage, that.)
     Glenn readily acknowledged that he had indeed dropped the ball. “But,” he added, “you have burned bridges with me.” “How so?” I asked. “The KKK cartoon,” he said.
  In Glenn’s mind, the KKK cartoon—which did not appear until the spring of 1998--had offensively associated him with the KKK.
     Again, I was perplexed, for, in my mind, the cartoon’s “joke” concerned, not the idea that Glenn (and Sherry) are closet white supremacists--which, somehow, I doubt--but, rather, the idea that either (i) Glenn and Sherry are liable to make spectacularly bad judgments or (ii) they are willing, for whatever reason, to go along with virtually any board innovation or decision, no matter how idiotic or irresponsible.  (“Yeah, sure, I’ll accept this appointment without the required ratification from the Academic Senate!” “Engage in a massive reorganization without significant discussion or input from faculty? Sounds good to me!” Etc.)
     After my conversation with Glenn, I talked with two or three friends about the matter, and they agreed that Glenn’s interpretation of the cartoon was odd at best. “Perhaps he is incapable of objectivity when he is the butt of a joke,” offered one friend. “Maybe so,” I said.
     I mentioned to Glenn that I had heard about two alleged complaint episodes. One concerned a remark I allegedly made to a student in class in the spring; the other concerned my being late for a final exam, again in the spring. Concerning the first, Glenn claimed to have no knowledge whatsoever. “Oh,” I said. I told him that I would take him at his word about that. (Bad move. Later, it became very clear that Glenn had discussed the matter long before my conversation with him.)
     I pressed Glenn concerning the remaining “complaint.” I noted that, if there were a complaint against me, then the student in question should contact me or at least my dean. Neither I nor my dean had been contacted, I said. When I persisted  concerning this so-called complaint and its status, he stated that nothing was happening and that the matter was finished. “Good,” I said.
     There’s more to this complaint business, but I can’t talk about it right now.
     Obviously, a new era of harassment has begun, just as many of us predicted.
     Bob Deegan is among those instructors identified by Mathur, et alia, as a key trouble-maker. In May, you will recall, Raghu identified Bob—along with Kate C. and me--as a member of the “core group” of persons who have fomented discontent concerning his regime. Raghu said that he was “confident” that these core groupers were involved in sending him “mail threats.”
     Guess what? It looks like Bob, too, has now been targeted by the Goo Squad. Reliable persons have informed me that a plan is afoot to transfer Bob to Saddleback. (The transfer of someone named Armando Ruiz [?]to IVC is a part of the deal, reportedly.)
     Can they do that? According to one of my sources, in a sense, yes. Over the years, various bodies have sought to define a faculty transfer policy and corresponding faculty transfer (or non-transfer) rights, but, I’m told, none of these efforts bore fruit.  (Another source, also reliable, insists that there is language in our contract that forbids involuntary transfers.)
     Of course, that they can transfer Bob does not mean that, in trying to do so, they aren’t harassing him—which is illegal, unethical, and pisses me off. I shall assume that it pisses you off too.
     I hope that the rumors are false. Just to be on the safe side, start making your “Love that Bob!” and “Give me Bob or give me death!” signs. While you’re at it, make a sign or two for me. Rough seas ahead.

     As I write, I am aware of a certain suit—one unrelated to the above--that shall be filed against the district (or a particular president of the district) on Tuesday, the 30th. Look for an article in the Register on Wednesday. It seems our president just can’t help violating people’s rights, the poor thing.

     A coupla weeks ago, Jeff K and Rich Z spoke with Raghu on behalf of the Academic Senate. (Such meetings are routine.) I am told that, in the course of the conversation, Raghu briefly raised his hands to the heavens and declared that he believes in God and that (therefore?) the latter entity is on his side. He went on to refer to a coming era of justice or retribution, evidently of the divinely instigated variety.
Jeff and Rich insist that glossolalia was not involved, though Jeff thought he saw stigmata form on Raghu’s right cheek. (Hey, everybody in A100: hide all the dictionaries! While you’re at it, hide the Captain’s palm tree.)


GRAPHICS:

“Morale at IVC” Graphic

“State Enters Fray Between Faculty, Administrators,” Robert Ourlian. 6/20/98 GRAPHIC

“Former college administrator wants to dump the whole board,” Everett Brewer. 6/20/98 GRAPHIC

“College Trustees Spreading Ruin,” Everett Brewer. 6/21/98; Times. GRAPHIC

“Another embarrassing incident,” IWN editorial, 6/25/98 GRAPHIC


[“Mr. Toady” page.]

[cartoons pages-2]

[“The Birdbrains” Hitchcock spoof]

“Strangers in the Night: exchanging glances and vitriol with Steven Frogue,” by Matt Coker (OC Weekly, 6/26/98) [GRAPHIC]

---CHUNK WHEELER

No comments:

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...