Thursday, February 2, 2017

Silent treatment


From the Register:
Trump protesters turned away at Dana Rohrabacher, Mimi Walters offices: We just want to be heard

excerpt:
Protesters seeking to express opposition to the immigration and travel ban, and other actions taken by President Donald Trump, have received less-than-welcome responses from people at the district offices of U.S. Representatives Dana Rohrabacher and Mimi Walters.
On Tuesday, property managers at Rohrabacher’s Huntington Beach office called police. And later that day protesters outside Walters’ office in Irvine were locked out.

Protesters have appeared at both offices, and at the office for Rep. Darrell Issa, several times in recent days. In at least one visit to Issa's office, a representative met with small groups to discuss the immigration and travel ban.
Photo by Nick Agro/ OC Register
*


Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Not Enough: "During this time of confusing rhetoric and uncertainty"

Today at Rep. Mimi Walters' office.
Tuesday afternoon, Rebel Girl was late getting to the Irvine office of Congressional Representative Mimi Walters who represents CA 45th so by the time she arrived, all the other protesters were gone.

Still, she was shown the door (locked) by a solicitous security guard who greeted her at the elevator and said, “Right this way” as if she had been expected. There were he said, over 200 people there earlier. She explained she had been teaching until 5:00 and that a student needed to talk to her after, as if he was asking for an excuse. “Where do you teach?” he asked. She told him and he shared that he takes classes at Golden West. They both agreed about the general fabulousness of the community college education and continued down the hall.

The office door was watched over by an utterly bored Irvine police officer, his badge hanging by a lanyard from around his neck, his head bowed toward the glowing screen of his smart phone. He had obviously judged her as peaceful as the ones who came before (Rebel Girl had asked if all had gone peacefully and been reassured it had) and just kept stroking his phone screen.

Rebel felt a little foolish. Without the others, what was she supposed to do? Her audience, it seemed, was the smiling security guard and the cop. So she told them about her student, the one who kept her late, after class to talk. The student had apologized for her work. The class activities had shown her, she said, that she wasn’t where she needed to be in her essay. Rebel Girl had reassured her that was fine, that that was what the activities were supposed to help her with. She had found it hard to concentrate, the student said, since the president announced his executive order. It affected her family, she told Rebel Girl, because of who they were. Her father was supposed to go on a business trip but he cancelled it, afraid he wouldn’t be allowed back in the U.S. They were now separated from their family overseas. The worse thing was, the student said, was that she felt that the U.S. government thought of her as a lesser person, and that now others had permission to look at her that way too. And they had. She could feel it. She had spent her childhood under a dictatorship and it had never felt as bad as this she concluded. Her eyes were wet, shining.

Rebel Girl said the things you say. She offered sympathy, moral support, free legal counsel and told her, yes, she was on her way to a protest about that very issue but Rebel Girl had the feeling that none of it was enough. How could it be? 

The security guard nodded. The cop said nothing. Rebel Girl thanked them for their service, snapped a photo and left.

By the time Rebel Girl got home, it was dark and this message waited for her in her email:

Jan. 31, 2017 – Our Commitment to All, Following Executive Order Affecting Seven Countries
Yesterday, California Community Colleges Chancellor Eloy Oakley issued this statement regarding President Trump’s executive order:
Over the weekend the Trump administration issued an executive order that restricts the ability of students, faculty and staff from certain countries from being able to enter the United States. The action caused great concern at colleges and universities across the nation. We also witnessed growing protests and confusion over the implementation of the executive order. As the California Community Colleges Board of Governors clearly stated, we support the ability of all students attending our colleges to attend without fear or intimidation.
During this time of confusing rhetoric and uncertainty, South Orange County Community College District, Saddleback College, and Irvine Valley College wish to reaffirm our values of inclusiveness and diversity. Our primary job is to educate all students who stand to benefit from higher education. We continually strive to create a welcoming environment where all people can learn and grow.

We are here to help all students. If you know of a student who may need confidential assistance, please contact our College Vice Presidents of Student Services: Dr. Juan Avalos, Saddleback College, at (949) 582-4566, javalos@saddleback.edu; or Dr. Linda Fontanilla, Irvine Valley College, at (949) 451-5624, lfontanilla@ivc.edu or visit the campus student services offices.

Dr. Debra L. Fitzsimons, Interim Chancellor
Dr. Tod A. Burnett, President, Saddleback College
Dr. Glenn R. Roquemore, President, Irvine Valley College
C.M. Brahmbhatt, Interim Vice Chancellor, Business Services
Dr. David Bugay, Vice Chancellor, Human Resources
Dr. Robert Bramucci, Vice Chancellor, Technology & Learning Services

 This is not enough either. How could it be?

 *

Monday, January 30, 2017

Today at UCI: IVC alum takes leadership role

UC Irvine student Zeina Mousa [IVC alum] speaks through a megaphone during an on-campus protest Monday against President Donald Trump’s executive orders on immigration restrictions. Kevin Chang | Daily Pilot
from the LA Times:

UCI demonstrators protest Trump's orders on immigration

excerpt:

When members of the Muslim Student Union at UC Irvine saw protesters descending on international airports in cities such as Los Angeles and New York over the weekend, they began to organize their own rally to show solidarity with demonstrations nationwide against President Trump's executive order to temporarily bar citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States....
UCI Chancellor Howard Gilman released a statement Saturday saying: "UCI has 154 students and scholars from these countries. ... I want to express my deep concern for our students, scholars and others who will be personally affected by this order. I agree with the statement today by the Association of American Universities that the order 'is already causing damage and should end as quickly as possible.'"

Zeina Mousa and friends, proud graduates of IVC. 2015
Now is the time to stand with them with our bodies and voices.

Has anyone heard a peep from our administration at the college or district level?

*

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Oh, the Places You Won't Go: Our Students and Trump's Ban




The Chronicle of Higher Education:
Trump’s Travel Ban Leaves Students Stranded — and Colleges Scrambling to Help
excerpt:
Stay calm, you’re safe here. That’s the message American colleges have been trying to send to international students in the wake of an executive order, signed Friday night by President Trump, that imposes a travel ban on visitors — including students and other people with valid visas — from seven largely Muslim countries.
Administrators at colleges across the country spent the weekend trying to reassure students from the affected nations— Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen — that they can continue their studies uninterrupted. In the meantime, officials advised students not to travel abroad during the 90-day ban.
But the soothing words belie deeper concerns. Since the presidential election, educators had been bracing for a "Trump effect" on international students. In a survey of prospective foreign students released last spring, when few gave the Republican businessman strong odds of winning the presidency, 60 percent said they would be less likely to study in the United States under a President Trump.
Los Angeles Times: 
UC urges students, faculty covered by Trump travel restrictions to stay in U.S. for now

excerpt:
The University of California on Saturday advised university community members covered by President Trump’s executive order banning travel to the United States from seven Muslim-majority countries to stay in this country for now.
“We continue to analyze the executive order and its impact on our students, faculty, scholars, employees and other community members,” the UC said in a message to faculty, staff and students. “At this time, we recommend that UC community members from these seven countries who hold a visa to enter the United States or who are lawful permanent residents do not travel outside of the United States.”
In a statement released Saturday, UC Irvine Chancellor Howard Gillman expressed “deep concern for our students, scholars and others who will be personally affected by this order. I am also concerned about the order’s impact on the ability of universities to pursue our mission.”
ABC News: 
Some Colleges Warning Foreign Students on Travel After Trump's Immigration Order

excerpt:
Some colleges are advising foreign students and scholars who might be affected by President Donald Trump's executive order on immigration to defer travel outside of the U.S. at least until there is more clarity on how the order may affect them.
Princeton University, Stanford University's center for international students and the Rochester Institute of Technology have each issued advice against immediate travel out of the country by members of their college communities.

the past, the present


A ship full of refugees fleeing the Nazis once begged the U.S. for entry. They were turned back. (Washington Post)
     Nine hundred thirty-seven.
     That was the number of passengers aboard the SS St. Louis, a German ocean liner that set off from Hamburg on May 13, 1939. Almost all of those sailing were Jewish people, desperate to escape the Third Reich. The destination was Havana, more than two weeks away by ship.
. . .
     “Sailing so close to Florida that they could see the lights of Miami, some passengers on the St. Louis cabled President Franklin D. Roosevelt asking for refuge,” the Holocaust museum noted. “Roosevelt never responded.”
     A State Department telegram stated, simply, that passengers must “await their turns on the waiting list and qualify for and obtain immigration visas before they may be admissible into the United States.”
     Finally, the St. Louis returned to Europe. After more than a month at sea, the passengers disembarked in Antwerp, Belgium, where they were divided between four countries that had agreed to take them: Great Britain, the Netherlands, Belgium and France.
     By the end of the Holocaust, 254 of them would be dead....


"It’s working out very nicely."
Wallace: Bannon's remarks "offensive"

Latest 'Hate Map' shows 30 groups in Southern California (OC Reg, Jan 29);
check out Irvine/Newport Beach

Saturday, January 28, 2017

How will Trump's refugee and seven-country Muslim ban affect our students?


The Chronicle of Higher Education:
Colleges Scramble After Trump’s Executive Order Bans Citizens of 7 Muslim Countries

excerpt:
The main message was one many institutions had been spreading well before Friday: Students and scholars, if you might be affected by such an executive order, don’t leave the country...
...An official with the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities told The New York Times that the association knew of an undergraduate student in Iran who had been stopped from boarding a flight to the United States. It is estimated that more than 15,000 international students could be affected by the ban, roughly 12,000 from Iran alone....
...Chapman University on Friday sent an email to the campus urging people outside the United States who might be affected by the order to return “as soon as possible.” (According to the Times, people seeking to enter the United States on Friday night were already being stopped at airports, including refugees who were in the air when the order was signed.)
***
A copy of the email sent out by Chapman University to its community:  Note the use of the phrase "could become indefinite."



This article from Pro Publica offers more insight:
Trump Executive Order Could Block 500,000 Legal U.S. Residents From Returning to America From Trips

excerpt: 
The order bans the “entry” of foreigners from those countries and specifically exempts from the ban those who hold certain diplomatic visas.
Not included in the exemption, however, are those who hold long-term temporary visas — such as students or employees — who have the right to live in the United States for years at a time, as well as to travel abroad and back as they please....
...Citizens of Iran and Iraq far outnumber those from the other five countries among green card and visa holders. In the past 10 years, Iranian and Iraqi citizens have received over 250,000 green cards.
Iran also has the 11th most students in the U.S. among foreign nations, according to the Institute of International Education’s Open Doors report, which tracks the demographics of international students.
“We are inundated with calls and questions of how this is going to affect people,” said Jamal Abdi, policy director for the National Iranian American Council, an organization that advocates for better relations between Iranian and American people.
*
s

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...