Thursday, October 1, 2020

IVC's Chris McDonald running for local office

[SEE UPDATE]
So I was driving around the hills up on Portola yesterday and I spotted these political signs along the road for somebody named "Chris McDonald." He's running for Lake Forest City Council. 

I asked myself: "Could that Chris McDonald be MY Chris McDonald, i.e., the VP of Instruction at Irvine Valley College?"

—Nah.

I kind of forgot about the whole thing until just before today's Academic Senate Meeting at 2:00. So I Googled "Chris McDonald Lake Forest" or some such thing and up popped this:

Whoa! It's IVC's Chris McDonald all right! And he's running for Lake Forest City Council!

Jolene in her youth
You'll recall that we covered some Lake Forest politics a few years ago when Lake Forest resident and SOCCCD Trustee Tom Fuentes died and then his widow, Jolene, came sniffing around to take over his seat. That didn't go too well. (See Whatever happened to Jolene Fuentes?, July 11, 2014)

So she ended up running for dogcatcher or something over in that goofy town (I think it was a seat on the planning commission or some such—somewhere where rich folks want things bad and find ways of getting them; that's sure what Tom was all about). I recall receiving the distinct impression that Jolene and her pals were about to introduce Tom Fuentes levels of corruption to the sleepy little town of Lake Forest. Too bad.

Jolene is still on the planning commission. I checked.

But Chris has nothing to do with any of that. 

I looked up Chris's Facebook page, where he announces: 

‘Hi, I'm Chris McDonald. I’m an educator, academic administrator, and I’m a proud resident of Portola Hills. I am stepping up as a candidate for the Lake Forest City Council because I believe I can make a difference for Portola Hills, Foothill Ranch, and our surrounding neighborhoods. We need a strong voice to represent our community in District 1 and I believe that I can be that voice.” (Aug 24) 

I believe that those who are entrusted in service of the community must be accessible to their constituents. Improving communication and increasing community engagement is key to our long-term success and that involves respect for individuals and their experiences. City leadership involves partnership with residents, and I believe that council members must represent the voice of the community. I believe patience is a prerequisite for the job because bringing closure to an issue may take more time when you collect and include feedback from the community. With that said, when I make a decision for the benefit of the community that is not in someone’s favor, I will make myself available for open and transparent dialogue about how the decision was made. (Sep 22)

Well, OK!

Here are a couple of things that pop up on his campaign website. Looks pretty professional, I guess:



McDonald's chief opposition appears to be a serious right-winger, who has the support of the County GOP, pro-lifers, and the likes of Don Wagner. See. McDonald has impressive support of his own.

UPDATE:

This appears to be the final tally. Chris lost by 22 votes.


Re Lake Forest's Jolene Fuentes, see also 
Monday, May 21, 2012  

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 
Monday, June 25, 2012
Monday, June 25, 2012  
July 1 2012 
The OC GOP machine lines up behind Tom Fuentes’ widow in Lake Forest,
December 23, 2013

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris will be very busy if he wins.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...