Faculty and administrators from the early days of Saddleback College (1968-1979) tell us what things were like. They paint quite a colorful picture.
Selections from 2001's marvelous "Making History: the first years of Saddleback College":
(Note: an expanded version of Making History is coming soon.)
WHAT IS YOUR PARTY AFFILIATION, COLLEGE BOY?
|Above: administrator JV (For the fate of Roper, see SOCCCD's first superintendent: clashed with trustees; bailed fast)|
HOLY MACKEREL! FLAG SALUTES IN THE MORNING!
|Above: Instructor BO|
|Above: Instructor LR|
A LIBRARY BUILT AS A FORTRESS...
|Above: Instructor LR|
|Foothill College, 1961|
|According to Architect magazine, "Foothill College was awarded|
a citation in the 1960 P/A Awards."
|Nope, those aren't windows: the opening of the "Utt" Library (c. 1973)|
How can you tell?
|Above: Administrator BW (EL Adobe: Nixon's favorite restaurant)|
|Beards are liberal or radical, evidently|
THEN THERE WAS THIS FUNNY OTHER SCHOOL...
|Above: DS (*cf. John Williams' memory)|
|"You're not one of those outside agitators, are you?"|
|Above: Instructor BP|
|From p. 149 of MH (It would seem that there were at least 3|
significant resignations during this early period. Curious.)
THE ORIGINAL "DRESS CODE"
• SOCCCD's first superintendent: clashed with trustees; bailed (1968)
• Early Saddleback College history: dress codes, censorship, faculty wives clubs, and more! (Further exploits of a rogue "conservative" board)
• The 1967 board: the "immorality" of district membership in the School Boards Association (Further exploits of a rogue "conservative" board)
• Right-wing paranoia and foolishness c. 1970: "The depths of your own mind" (re 1970; further exploits of a rogue "conservative" board))
• Charter trustees: the curious Mr. Alyn Brannon (A creep, evidently)
• A glimpse at Saddleback College, 1970: HAIR (Because, as you know, hair length is key)
• Did right-wing loons establish the SOCCCD? (re 1967; the local GOP)
• Bremer: just saying “No” to long hair and windowlessness (early chief gets into hot water)
• A weird windowless library, alleged marauding flag-swiping Hippies, the protean name, and other district mysteries—Solved! (re 1960s)
• 1969: Saddleback's war on hair
For a fuller list of DtB historical posts, see College History.
|Like a gentle rhetorical breeze|