Monday, April 8, 2013

In Bauer Canyon

The view from nowhere: looking down on Bauer Canyon from 500 feet above.
The Memorial Garden is marked by a red dot. 
The ridge above my place.


     It was blustery but pleasant today in Bauer Canyon, which can be found a mile or two above O'Neill Park near Trabuco Canyon in the Santa Ana Mountains.


     On my way in, I spotted my sister tending the Bauer Memorial Garden and Feline Detention Center. I dropped by to say hello and to inspect this much ballyhooed garden. (I have nothing to do with it.)
     The always-estimable TigerAnn, cat, was there, prowling the scene. She's a peevish, yet lovable, creature. She offered her usual economical communication.

     Annie proudly showed me her various vegetable protégés, including these two. She offered me some sort of pickled vegetable matter, which seemed to brew in an odd plastic contraption that sports a big squeezer thing. It was good, I guess.

     On one end of the canyon: the scene just above my place

     Broccoli, I believe. And my feet.

     TigerAnn seemed to claim ownership of the dirt. Her gaze claimed the horizon.

     Note the elaborate netting, which protects the plants from the Deer Gang, a crew of about seven stealthy creatures. (They're not as stealthy as they think they are. I spot 'em every other day or so.)

     No doubt about it: these plants are healthy. Each is its own little celebration of fecundity.

     The famous and much-honored Harey the Rabbit presides over the garden. Such objects appear without explanation or apology in Bauer Canyon.
     One of these strawberry plants had 23 berries on it. That's good, I guess.


     Rabbit ears are comforting, I find. Fine things.



     Annie, cultivating her multi-headed strawberry monsters.

     TigerAnn posed for this one. She's happiest when she's outside.

     My father, who is eighty years old, seems satisfied to nurture the Bauer Canyon Memorial Garden and Feline Detention Center Annex and Rock Collection, which graces the upper road near the main house. My dad's approach is Utilitarianism to my sister's neo-NewAgery.

     Inside the main house, I found the celebrated Bugsy, Kitten, who was sleeping on his cat condo, overlooking the main house's beautiful Patio and Gazebo Presentation and Staging Area. It is near the International Woodpile, which, in turn, is adjacent to the Excessively Large & Germanic Fire Hose.

     Bugsy exhibited sleepiness—and his tongue.


     More tongue.

TigerAnn is a celebration of fur

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful life.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...