Friday, May 6, 2011

Sculpture: the Bi-Annual Outdoor Sculpture Invitational at Irvine Valley College


I WAS on campus (Irvine Valley College) today for my Friday morning class (3 hrs. of philosophical yammering!), and, for once, I brought my camera to take some pics after class.
Yesterday, the School of Fine Arts installed some new sculptures on campus, and that was a big hit. It was part of BOSI: the Bi-Annual Outdoor Sculpture Invitational. Lisa Davis Allen and Co. presented the latest participating artists, who hailed from all over the country: Oregon, New York, etc. LDA gave a tour of the installations. (Video)

This piece (at left) stands outside the entrance of the new Chem Lab building. ("The Column")

Click on graphics to enlarge them.

This one's out in front of the PE building. I can just see those PE kids puzzling over it. ("It's Not About the Scrolls")

That's IVC's Performing Arts Center in the background. In between the sculpture and the PAC is another construction project: an outside amphitheater (or some such thing). Right now, it's just lots of dirt, fenced off.

CARE
I came across a lunch for participants in the CARE program, which is under EOPS (Extended Opportunity Program and Services). CARE (the Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education program) provides services for single parents on government assistance. 

A good time was had by all, it seems. I grabbed a veggie sandwich.

The view from this part of campus is fine. A bit o' old Irvine. They're growin' strawberries or something. Who knows.

The Student Services Building gets pretty quiet on Fridays.

The Library. Check out the artwork in the foreground. ("Compression")

This piece at right ("Elements in Motion"), like the yellow one above, has been on campus for a year or two (BOSI). I do believe that both of these have been purchased by the college.

This one's hard to miss, now towering above the lawn area in front of the Student Services Center. ("Stack")

This, too, is situated in the vast area in front of the Student Services Bldg., near B100. Very cool. ("An Incomplete Life")


This replaced a work that had been sitting in the middle of the A Quad. (I think this one's called "Balance.")

EL TORO
On my way home, I looked for old buildings in what used to be El Toro. This one is very near El Toro Rd. and the railroad tracks. It's ensconced among towing and other businesses. A bit of a rough part of town.

From the overpass over the railroad tracks.

I took this as I drove past Cook's Corner, four or five miles up the road.

Near the entrance of Lambrose Canyon Road, on Live Oak Canyon Road. That's where I live.

3 comments:

Bob Cosgrove said...

Great shots Roy. Lifted my day considerably.

Anonymous said...

Is that the real color of the Performing Arts Center roof? I still laugh when I think of your photoshopping a plaid roof onto it, and now I can't remember how it actually looks!

I like "an incomplete life," too--maybe because I like a title and a concept that I can understand and that actually seems to "fit" the sculpture. I'm pretty clueless about sculpture, I admit. But I love the wood of "Stack" (it is wood, correct?).

MAH

MAH

Roy Bauer said...

MAH, yes, that is the actual color of the PAC, which looks to me like a house of cards upon which a card has been dropped, leaving the structure barely standing.
The "incomplete life" is actually more "incomplete" than it looks. From the front, you can see that an arm is missing, I think.. My picture angles here were determined to a great extent by the unfortunate location of the sun (always shining from the back of these dang things).
The "stack" is actually made of iron, though it seems to have the design of old mission style oak. It is quite large and heavy.
I, too, am fairly clueless about sculpture, though I've decided that this BOSI project is very good for the college. I am glad that we have these things on campus--especially some of the latest pieces.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...