Friday, January 28, 2011

They Put the Pissy in Epistolary — OC Register Letter of the Week (Red Emma)

by Red Emma, actually.

Today seems as good a day as any to inaugurate a new occasional contribution from Red, occasional reader of the Register. Okay, I almost never read it, much less on any particular occasion. I read it waiting to get my car smogged. I read it in the dermatologist's office. Today, at lunch with my dining companion of 26 years, I opened the thing to the Letters and was captivated by the header "Prayer changes things." Again, not so much captivated as, well, gripped with a combination of anticipatory dread and the affirmation of every assumption I hold about the readers of and writers to the editor of the county's most dreadful and affirming newspaper. Okay, I'm almost there. Sorry. Here's the thing: Is the writer of this letter, one Leonard Musgrave of Orange, actually putting us on? Is he out-Registering the Register and pulling Red's limb? Is his rhetorical strategy one of cleverly ironic putting on one-upmanship? Or is he (you should forgive the phrase) for real? And why has he been watching MSNBC at all? Prayer changes things, indeed. And let's Get the US out of the United Nations and Keep Christ in Christmas. The voice suggests at first the usual 50's-era white OC Republican Protestant American idiom and tropery until that last sentence, which Red heard as funny and ironic and mean — but then again I hear everything as funny and ironic and mean! I leave it to you, dear Dissentarians. See below, unedited. Me, I am praying for another season of HBO's excellent The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.

Prayer changes things
I have been praying for eight years for MSNBC to get rid of Keith Olberman, and it finally happened. If you pray long and hard enough, anything is possible. I will continue to pray now so MSNBC gets rid of Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, Ed Shultz, Lawrence O'Donnell, Dylan Ratigan and any other MSNBC host who uses disgusting rhetoric to marginalize the other side. While Fox has its set of characters, they are not as vile and nasty as those listed above. I must go now and pray.

Amen! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, that is seriously cool! Those black-and-white oxfords, those crimson shirts, Jack White doin' that retro dance-walkin', Wanda Jackson's voice: just SERIOUSLY sexy. Thanks for the lift, BvT!

MAH

Anonymous said...

'Twernt me, MAH, but the Reb who found the video. I'm just an appreciator who passed it along. But it is seriously, cool, isn't it? --BvT

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...