Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grandpa's German Communist associations

     Today, I came across some photos that were found among my grandfather's things after he died in 1998 (Opa was 91). They include pictures of relatives, of the family home and town (Böblingen), and of many German Shepherds, including Arko, a dog of legend in the Bauer family.
     But I also found the picture above.
     I had been told that Opa's brother was active in the German Communist Party. I have a photo of Opa hanging with his brother and his pals in Berlin in the twenties. They're all wearing Communist Party uniforms, it appears.
     The people in the picture above are mostly wearing uniforms. They could be Communist uniforms.
     I zeroed in on the people:


     Aha! The flag includes the words "wir sind bereit!" ("we are ready!"), and that certainly sounds like a party slogan. I looked closer:


     Sure enough, the image below the words is the famous clenched fist. I did some checking, and German Communists routinely used the clench fist as their symbol. (Their version of the fist usually has the thumb on the right.) It is possible that the flag symbolizes, in particular, leftist hopes and aspirations with regard to the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), which inspired fervent support of the Republicans from the international Marxist community. (Meanwhile, Ford and GM, among others, supported the fascists, who ultimately won.)
     So there you go.
     But which of the people in the photo, if any, are connected to Opa and thus the Bauers? Tomorrow, I'll bring the picture to my dad, who might have some answers.
     As you know, the Nazis targeted Jews, but also Gypsies and other groups, including Communists. I'm not sure how (or whether) Opa's brother was targeted owing to his left-wing, anti-fascist politics. I do know that Opa got into trouble. His friends in town saved him by arranging to have him join the Wehrmacht (Army), despite his age (he was 33 in 1940). Or so says my father.
     Opa (Otto) served with Rommel in Africa but later fought in Italy. He was captured by the British, I believe, in 1944.
     Few people are aware that German POWs were typically kept for years after the war. That's what happened to Opa, who was kept in a terrible camp in Egypt, where many of his colleagues died. When his British jailers reckoned that Opa was about to die, they allowed him to go home.
     He lived another fifty years.
     I came across a post card that Opa sent home during his time in the POW camp. Unfortunately, I can find no date on it:

     Essentially, the letter wishes everyone (his wife, Luise, and the two kids, Ruth and Gunther) a good Christmas and New year. He hopes they experience happiness and peace. 
     It is a very brief and sad message.

I do believe that this is Herr Arko, dog
He, too, hated fascists

No comments:

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...