Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Honest, we really don't know anything

With a Bear Hug (Chronicle of Higher Education)

This is odd, but good, I think. Assistant professor of journalism and new media, Kim Komenich, teaches at San Jose State U and is a Pulitzer Prize winning photographer.

He’s also a world class bear hugger.

On Monday, he waited in line at the bank:
Mr. Komenich heard the man in front of him demand money from the teller. When he saw the man reach for his pockets, he gripped the man in a bear hug and held him until police officers arrived.
Big guy to small guy, an inescapable bear hug is easy. Sustaining one for twenty minutes—on a guy who is highly motivated to get the hell away—is not.

Check out the pic. I think maybe Komenich killed the guy. That would explain it.

I wonder what his photographs are like.

In my Intro to Philosophy course this morning, I showed an old documentary about quantum physics. It’s pretty cool. When things get really small they get seriously strange.

Students don’t seem to know this.

In class, I'll zero in on one idea, say, quantum entanglement. I'll ask, “Do any of you know anything about this?”

They never seem to know anything. Doesn't matter what it is. I'll say, “Some o’ you know, right? You just don’t wanna say!”

Silence. Then I'll hear a small voice from off to the side.

“Um, Mr. Bauer. We really don’t know anything.”

Oh.

Oddly, one segment of the documentary concerns the scientific images created by the great American photographer Berenice Abbott (1898–1991). She is interviewed: she must have been close to ninety years old at the time. Sharp as a tack. Very no-nonsense.

I recommend looking into her non-scientific photographic work (if you are not already familiar with it). Very very cool.

Berenice Abbott (Wikipedia)
CHANGING NEW YORK 1935-1938
Brief biography
Overview
Berenice Abbott's Changing New York
Art Institute of Chicago


3 comments:

Bohrstein said...

Dude, I don't even know what entanglement is.

B ta tha S.

Anonymous said...

I love Abbott's dugboat picture.

AOR said...

I heard the bear hug story on NPR this morning. My question: Do banks no longer have guards? Was no one brave enough to tie his feet and hands - or even throw him in the vault?

I don't want to think about what's going to happen to the robber in prison if he ever has to explain how he was caught.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...